This is an extended version of notas’ quickstart guide.
- brightskins: http://sauerleague.org/index.php/skins-snoutx10k
- gameclock, ammobar, better mousefeel and more http://comed.sauerworld.org/
Useful commands that aren’t in GUI (type in chat with a slash / in front):
picmipin Quake), 0-12 (ex:
drawgun), 1|0 (ex:
/maxfps 0sets uncapped, or set to any value (ex:
Getting in touch with players
- Join the Sauerworld Discord server: https://discord.gg/SNheTc8 (use #find-games)
Peak hours are 10 – 18:00 EST (15:00 to 23:00 GMT), after 18:00 EST you can usually find duels in discord but no team games other than public ictf
- Need help? Message notas, Redon, or Lokio, or just post in #sauercom or #support in Sauerworld Discord
- PS: Some servers are run by idiots that may kick you for no reason.
Setting up a game
- open your server browser (menu)
- find a server with the green open label and 0 players on it (suggestions: [sQ]; sp4nk, p1x.pw)
Note: hit detection in Sauerbraten is clientside so a ping of 100 is perfectly fine, and up to 200 is still playable albeit bad.
- once you’re on the server, open the menu > master, “claim master” and set it to “locked”; this will give you the necessary privileges and put anyone connecting to the server in spectator mode
Frequently Asked Questions (adapted from cubeengine.com/wiki/FAQ and sauerleague.org/index.php/more-fps)
- Q: Where are my saved maps, configs, screenshots? Where do I put things I wish to add?
In your Cube 2 home folder
On Windows, try C:\Users\$USER\Documents\My Games\Sauerbraten\. On a Mac, it’s ~/Library/Application Support/sauerbraten/. On Linux, it’s ~/.sauerbraten.
- Q: How can I save my settings?
1) use config.cfg
The engine autosaves into config.cfg. You should always check config.cfg for “on-the-fly” scripting and personal settings before erasing it; keep it backed up from time to time. A missing config.cfg will be replaced by defaults.cfg and autoexec.cfg. autoexec.cfg overrides defaults.cfg. The engine first checks for a config.cfg, if it isn’t there it uses defaults.cfg then autoexec.cfg.
2) use autoexec.cfg
Put any required settings into autoexec.cfg. It’s executed after config.cfg.
- Q: How can I make the game run on (very) old hardware?
– turn off graphical effects (via menu)
– use playermodel ogro (via menu)
– set color depth 16 and z-buffer depth 24 (via menu)
– use /texreduce 12 (via console)
– use /hudgun 0 (via console)
– use maxtexsize 128 (via console)
– use /texcompress 128 (via console)
– reduce value for /maxparticles (via console)