Sauerworld Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Chat / Re: TOURNAMENT: 20 August 2017 - EFFIC // FFA // 2v2 TEAMPLAY
« Last post by swatllama on August 09, 2017, 10:10:49 pm »
Star,
Yes, everyone will be required to download Jumper's anticheat, as well as to turn over all credit card numbers, CVV's, SSN's, and passport information.

Any cheating accusations from the past will be forgiven for this event, except for the most megalomaniac of all.

Addressed the starting time in an edit, but in short, yes.
« Last post by star on August 09, 2017, 09:59:43 pm »
Will this be required to make sure Jumper is cheating?
Who else is banned from participating?
Will you wait until the official synchronized starting time, for all teams to show up?
« Last post by h8 on August 09, 2017, 09:27:22 pm »
nice. good luck to participants and organizers.
General Chat / TOURNAMENT: 20 August 2017 - EFFIC // FFA // 2v2 TEAMPLAY
« Last post by swatllama on August 09, 2017, 08:13:28 pm »
Hi all! Due to having some spare time and a few requests, I'll be hosting a tournament Sunday, August 20th. Rules will be similar to SSL rules, with some changes.
When: August 20th, 5:00 PM GMT+2.
Where: Servers will be announced in Discord and IRC the day of.
Schedule: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vwSUnaJx0Ezwi2bKXmujbCW1vsb3WCrc1-IO2cn0E6o/edit?usp=sharing
Map Pick List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZF3tm44pLFXo4dOZoiQYTNd-aKNZyhWaBNN_Z-kXXzA/edit?usp=sharing
Structure
Signup by PM'ing me in discord or IRC.
Signups will be open from now until 12 hours before the event begins. The reason for signups is so that a schedule can be made so players participating in only one event do not have to stay around for more hours than they originally anticipate.

As the schedule gets updated with more signups, we'll have a better idea of when later events start. There will also be a break time between events as a buffer for any overflow. Even if one event ends early, we will wait until the designated start time for the next event.

Mixed teams are allowed for the 2v2 Teamplay event.
The seeding for each event will be determined by a mass all vs all. The top 8 participants in the all vs all will move on to the duel sections, which will be a Best of three. The higher seeded player in the all vs all will pick the first map.
Unlike in past SSL events, the third (tiebreaker) map, if need be, will be prechosen per mode. It cannot be picked. This means it would be wise to practise these maps more.
Per event, an individual may only pick any map once. This carries over into the final match, so pick early maps carefully. If someone has already played a map, but has not picked it, they may still pick it. I will maintain a spreadsheet of everyone's picks. The reasoning behind this is to encourage playing the game well, instead of playing only a few maps well.
Make sure you have the SW mappack installed. If you plan on playing ffa or teamplay, I have updated a spawn on sauerowalk that you will need to play, added some pickups on toxicity that you will need to play, and have a custom teamplay map attached at the end of the post.
Map Pools
Effic http://challonge.com/tnb2j98t
  • duel8
  • academy
  • frozen6a - custom
  • memento2b - custom
  • legazzo
  • duel7
  • mbt2
  • simplicity
  • legacy - custom
  • turbine - tiebreaker, cannot be picked

FFA http://challonge.com/qe2csalh
  • metl3
  • metl4
  • skrdm1
  • tumwalk
  • cartel - custom
  • sauerowalk - custom, and I have an updated copy you need
  • hades
  • corruption
  • elegy
  • toxicity - tiebreaker, cannot be picked, and I have an updated copy you need
2v2 Teamplay
  • bvdm_01
  • hades
  • corruption
  • para_die - custom, and not in the SW mappack
  • nmp8
  • paradigm
  • cartel
  • gubo - tiebreaker, cannot be picked
Yes, only eight maps for teamplay.

Now, for the
BANLIST
  • Jumper

Feel free to contact me with feedback, questions, or requests for help practicing maps.
Maps / Re: 3 New Maps 4 U
« Last post by NoobGuy on August 08, 2017, 02:32:25 am »
aand here are the snaps from the hold+base capture map
Maps / Re: 3 New Maps 4 U
« Last post by NoobGuy on August 08, 2017, 02:25:37 am »
the rest, from Retrograde
Maps / 3 New Maps 4 U
« Last post by NoobGuy on August 08, 2017, 02:24:32 am »
Crack open the zip, smack em in your base folder, and enjoy them. Here are some snaps from the most recently finished. They support FFA/insta, and para_die.ogz supports flag-hold/protect and base capture.

hope you guys enjoy.
Maps / Re: Crossfire port from Half-Life 1 (FFA+INSTA)
« Last post by Kato on July 29, 2017, 11:27:18 am »
Thanks Ardelico for your advices, i will follow them, for the moment in my map i have placed all respawns players like in the crossfire half-life version, some items also placed like crossfire half-life version, after some test with bots , i have see that with the grenades launcher weapon we have too much ammunition grenades, i need to place less items for this type of weapon, it's difficult to place items because need a lot of test to see the balance with the items.

One thing i need to do it's to change the gameplay where there is the base with the two towers, as we don't have the gameplay like half-life (ex:door, button), then the base with the two towers will have the entrance door locked, this force the players to climb the ladder to enter the base, in half-life when you push the button in the base, this call a mortar and lock the big door and kill everybody outside the base and after a moment the door is unlocked, in cube 2 engine i can't do that, for this reason i need to think a way to escape the base because in half-life when you enter in the tower you need to fall in the sniper nest but after you can't go back in the top of the tower, the only exit is the big door, i need to think about this problem and change the gameplay in this part of the map.

For the clip/or no clip and other things, i study the maps shipped with sauerbraten to understand how all things works and youtube have good video tutorials about cube 2 engine mapping.
« Last post by Ardelico on July 28, 2017, 02:20:17 pm »
Hi, looks like you're doing great for your first map.

1) Cubify the whole map.

2) Texturing the map.

3) Add lighting.

4) Add items and props.

5) Create the waypoints for the bots.

It's all ? or missing something?

You don't necessarily need to follow a specific order of operations, but that it the *general* order.

Some key tips to remember for gameplay:
Your head should not hit ceiling when jumping.
Try not to overpower one side of the map, in example having healthboost too close to armor, or quad too close to rockets/gold armor.
I try to follow this ratio when placing entities:
3:1.5:1:3:2 - what this means is, for every 1 rockets ent (the third number), there are 3 shells, 1.5 bullets, 3 rifles, and 2 nades.  Try to keep the amount of health ents on the map relative to the rockets.

Make sure to distance the green and yellow armor as far apart from eachother as you can.  In an ffa match, a person could jack the green, and then the yellow, destroying an opportunity for the opponent to acquire some form of defence.  A skilled competitive player will do this tactic anyways, but no reason to make it easy for them.

Make sure to make use of /sunlight, /skylight, /ambient.  You can use /lightprecision for prettier lighting, though not really necessary.
For natural lighting with /sunlight and skylight, maintain a ratio.  Example: /sunlight 210 200 180  ;; /skylight 120 115 105 ;; /ambient 27 26 24

Don't forget to use /clip, /noclip materials, for improved gameplay and to prevent people escaping the map.
If you cannot see materials, type /showmat 1 ;; alternatively press 'M' while in edit mode.

When you think your map is finished, make sure to /genpvs.  This is a performance booster. Genpvs should be the *very last* thing that you do.

My preferred order of operations is based on making all the pieces of the map first, then fitting them together into a layout.

1: select my theme, apply the sunlight/skylight/ambient // fogdome/skybox in advance, to help motivate me with the theme i've chosen.
2: build objects relative to the theme, fully textured, fully clipped/noclipped so all I have to do is copy paste them together.
3: copy paste them together, fixing/adding along the way.
4: once copy pasted layout is done, add interior/detailed lighting and improve anything I feel needs improved.
5: ents.  Flags first, then bases, playerstarts, quad/hb, armors, weapons, healths.
6: double check for materials in case missed anything
7: waypoints
8: a full playtest of all compatible modes for the map.
9: lighting improvements, mainly /lightprecision. 
10: genpvs
11: screenshot, package map for posting.
12: (optional but i always do it) video for lazy people
13: go hardcore against bots in sp, usually throughout the entire night.

As you see my order of operations is different yet similar, there isn't really a wrong way to make a map, as long as everything fits in at one point, it's good enough.

If you have any other questions, I'm in irc.quakenet.org 6667 #sauerbraten nearly 24/7.

« Last post by Kato on July 26, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »
I have changed some textures, and begin texturing the 2 towers, the helipad and base interior.

One question about the creation of a map, the best method order to mapping is this ?

1) Cubify the whole map.

2) Texturing the map.

3) Add lighting.

4) Add items and props.

5) Create the waypoints for the bots.

It's all ? or missing something?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10