Pandora

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Pandora
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »

--------Edit 9/1/2016--------
-- Small layout change. Pickup changes. Changed custom "sheik" cell textures back to original Meister "Hex" textures. Check http://quadropolis.us/node/4125 for the download.

--------Edit 5/11/2015--------

"I think I can say it is (really) finished this time. I don't think any further updates will be made, or any other suggestions added."
               -Fatality 2k15

Map updated once again. Made some small but significant changes. Apparently, in the previous versions, the side of the map which I claimed to be purple, in contrast to its blue counterpart, was technically just a darker blue, and numerically speaking, based on the color values of the light entities, was not purple at all. This would explain why some people complained that both sides looked exactly the same. My own eyes must have been trained to notice the subtle difference. But nonetheless, I have made both sides more distinctive in their colors and hopefully now you can see a difference.

I also rotated the small ramps in the middle of the map 90 degrees, so that they are not in the way of any main routes, while still serving their purpose.

--------Edit 2/5/2015--------

It has been a while since I posted anything on this map, as it was seemingly done. Of course that is never the case, so I have been hard at work again on this child of mine. Attached here (pandora_update3.zip) is the newest version. I think I can say it is (really) finished this time. I don't think any further updates will be made, or any other suggestions added. Instead, go and play the final product!

To make it compatible with the Inexor project, I had to replace two textures with ones I created on my own; they are included in the zip, so be sure to put them in the right places.

To keep things more organized and archived, I have added all lists of updates and releases of the map here on this original post. Make sure you download the latest one attached here at the bottom.

--------Original post---------

Ayye first map posted. Here is a CTF map I recently "finished" (though it is still being updated/fixed). Keep in mind this is the first release, and there are bugs which have already been discovered, but I will update this post as I update the node on quadropolis, so watch for updated versions :).

It has proven a pain in the ass to install, as it uses custom textures which need to be downloaded separately, so I include step by step instructions for all you directory noobs :D.

1. Download attached file "pandora.zip", open it, and move all contents from the "base" folder (pandora.ogz, pandora.cfg, and pandora.jpg) to your own "base" folder (the one with your own custom maps and saved maps). On Windows it will be "documents -> mygames -> sauerbraten -> packages -> base". On Mac it will be "library -> applicationsupport -> sauerbraten -> packages -> base". I am not sure about Linux.

2. Download Yves Allaire's "eX" texture pack from quadropolis here: quadropolis.us/node/2792 (it will be at the bottom of the node, just before the comments, the mediafire link), open the zip, and move the textures from exactly where they are to the same place in your Sauer folder. So, the folder called "ex" (not the textures inside the folder, the whole folder itself) will go into "packages -> textures -> yves_allaire". It will then look like this: "packages -> textures -> yves_allaire -> ex -> all the pretty textures".

3. If you did everything correctly, load the map in game and see if it works. If you see all ugly default Sauer textures you did it wrong.

There has also been some complaints about the missing lava texture in the middle of the map, I'm not sure what this is as some people see the cool lava and some just see a texture error, anyone with better knowledge please let everyone know :). Edit: fixed.

Enjoy the map! (and sorry for this lengthy post)

--------Updates--------

Update #1 9/9/2014:

- Changed half of the map's lighting to a shade of purple to differentiate between bases.
- Remodelled side rooms for better flow and appearance, also moved green armour into them.
- Extended center of map for longer flagruns and more room overall.
- Got rid of the laggy particle and added new ones as suggested by Pyccna (though I changed them from your suggestion just a bit).
- Deleted the teleports
- A bit more interesting geometry/details.
- Fixed .cfg problem for people who weren't seeing the lava texture.
- Added health boost. Some people will complain about this, but I do these things to set my maps apart :). If you really want the health boost, you need to jump into the lava after getting it, so it keeps people from, dare i say, whoring it. You would be smart to wait until you are seriously weak already.

Update #2 9/22/2014:

- Probably too much to remember.
- Completed to-do list.
- Made some changes to the layout.
- Made some changes to geometry.
- Made some changes to details.
- Replaced item spawns and playerstarts.
- Created waypoints.

Update #3 2/5/2015:

- Re-textured entire map with the 512x512 version of the Yves Allaire eX textures.
- Added a short wall along the side routes to give a little more cover to the middle/lower bridge.
- Added two cat-walks from the lower bridge to the upper levels for more possibilities in navigation.
- Re-worked the side armour rooms with a slightly more interesting layout, including a redesigned ramp and small pool with jump-able computers.
- Got rid of the spammy floor-grate pipe line thing in the bases.
- Filled the the open-sky pits with lava to match the middle.
- Added various boxes to keep the flow more interesting.
- Changed the jumppads to push you straight up, with no horizontal push.
- Changed the particle to something more minimalistic.
- Completely redid the item spawns and playerstarts, and switched the quad and healthboost. The quaddamage is now essentially useless, as it should be on such a small map.
- Added base names.
- Replaced two textures which were non-commercially licensed to allow compatibility with the Inexor project.
- Added a "pandora.txt" readme.
- Updated the map's .cfg and waypoints.

Update #4 5/11/2015:

- Improved distinction in lighting of both sides of the map.
- Rotation of middle ramps 90 degrees to prevent obstruction.
- Re-swapped the Quad and Healthboost, the way they were originally.
- Re-added some horizontal push to the jumppads, but this time only along one axis; no more diagonal push.
- Re-worked some other item placement.
- Some other small changes to texturing, geometry, etc.

NOTE: The latest version of the map is "pandora_update_5.zip", which is located at http://quadropolis.us/node/4125 due to attachment limitations. Also because of file size limitations, update 3 had to be removed to make room for this update. If you are interested, update #3 can still be downloaded here
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:18:00 AM by Fatality »

pix

• +9/-1
    • A Cube 2: Sauerbraten Knowledge Base by pix
Re: Pandora
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
On Linux, the files go into ~/.sauerbraten/packages/. Just extracting the packages folder that's in the zip into .sauerbraten should be enough, same with the eX textures.

Again: nice map Fatality! I hope it gets into the next release, whoever releases that... :D

greenadiss

• +5/-1
  • Mo ho!
    • MdSauer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:28:44 AM »
Some screenshots:

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »
The jumppad on the right on the third screenshot Greenadiss posted (can't see it) isn't well-done. Sometimes, I hit some geometry above the jumppad. Besides that, it seems like it'd make more sense to be like reissens' jumppad with the horizontal push in addition to the vertical push.

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
missing the middle + jumppad textures

alebrije

• +4/-0
    • JuGadores Latinos eXtremos
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
There has also been some complaints about the missing lava texture in the middle of the map, I'm not sure what this is as some people see the cool lava and some just see a texture error, anyone with better knowledge please let everyone know :).

read map packages/base/pandora.ogz (0.3 seconds)
could not load texture packages/textures/yves_allaire/ex/rndfx/rndfloor_02_s.jpg
could not load texture packages/gor/st_gk_007_nm.jpg
could not load texture packages/gor/st_gk_007_nm.jpg
-Pandora- by Fatality

The path to the first texture is wrong: there is no exist rndfx directory in the eX_texturepack
And, the second texture has a case problem, the correct name is ST_GK_007_nm.jpg

missing the middle + jumppad textures
jumppad texture  ;)

Same ploblem in both version of the textures: 256 and 512. Well, there is no problem with the textures, just the pandora.cfg file, :P

P.D. btw, nice map !!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:45:43 PM by alebrije »
Verba volant, scripta manent

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »
Thanks for comments :).

The jumppad I failed to texture properly and missed when i packaged the map, it is not in the .cfg x). Also I started to work on extending it out to fix the problem of bumping your head.

Thanks Alebrije for picking up on the error, it makes sense now. I will fix that in the cfg. ;)

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »
yey

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »

Updated the map a bit, not finished and still small bugs but 100% playable for anyone who wants it now. Check quadropolis for complete list of updates if you care ;)

Map is attached here

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »

Map updated. List of updates:
-Probably too much to remember.
-Completed to-do list.
-Made some changes to the layout.
-Made some changes to geometry.
-Made some changes to details.
-Replaced item spawns and playerstarts.
-Created waypoints.

Check it out! (file is too large for this forum, get the map here: http://quadropolis.us/node/4125)

Acuerta

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
just tried it, looks nice

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 12:32:48 AM »
Apparently I included a version of the textures which didn't fit with the map, everything was scaled 2x larger. Repackaged the file with the fitting textures, it should look better. Surprised no one picked up on this except for Frosty :P

http://quadropolis.us/node/4125

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
I have not much to say except that I really like the appearence and it looks fun to play . The layout is solid and the size is perfect , I'm looking forward to test it ( would be nice to run a server wihtin these new maps into the map rotation along with the best ones of the official release ) . I'd have a suggestion about how to improve the theme although I'm not sure it is possible and I'd prefer to talk with you in-game about that . So far great work ! We really need maps like this . Only minimal negative thing : a couple of edges in the middle could be modified to easier perform those trick jumps .

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
 I'm looking forward to read a review of this map for the map discovery at SauerWorld ! Fatality i dont care if you do  have to review your own maps :D , these maps of yours need to be known !

I like the idea of distinguishing the 2 sides with the lightning , it's original ( although i personally like better the side with more contrast ). The 2 huge pillars in the middle seem to be done hastily though , just a couple of trimmings here and there with another texture would fix it , a 2 minutes job. If everyone downloaded this map we would have another nice map to alternate to forge and reissen .

Maybe the sauerworld team could make a custom-maps  pack to download with the fresh new maps which have been reviewed .

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
Maybe the sauerworld team could make a custom-maps  pack to download with the fresh new maps which have been reviewed .
Actually I think this is something in progress :P *spoiler*