Sauerworld Forum

Public server for new maps, "reissen? FUCK YOU!"

pisto

• +0/-0
Public server for new maps, "reissen? FUCK YOU!"
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:45:56 AM »
I have put up a new server, /connect pisto.horse 1111, which runs only new maps. The name is "reissen? FUCK YOU!" (reissenfu in short).

The server uses the standard trick of automatically sending the map in coopedit, but it runs actually real game modes (ffa, insta, ...). The point is to have your new maps playtested by the masses.

There is a technical novelty in this server. The sendmap trick has two shortcomings:
  • no custom cfg file
  • no ctf/capture/collect modes
If one was able to send cubescript from the server to the client, some of these limitation could be overcome. Taking inspiration from crapmod, this is exactly what  I coded. You basically need to do

Code: [Select]
/mastername pisto.horse
/updatefrommaster

and the server will now be able to run your custom map cfg file, and to boot the map in teamed modes such as ctf.

If you as a mapper want more information on how to optimize your map and your cfg file for this server, skip to the third post.

pisto

• +0/-0
Re: Public server for new maps, "reissen? FUCK YOU!"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:00 AM »
    What is Remote CubeScript (rcs)?
It is a way to send cubescript commands from the server to the client. Cubescript is the embedded scripting language of Sauerbraten, and it controls aspects such as menus, personal settings, key binds. A similar project, in the technical aspects, that aims to provide a better server browser is crapmod.

Why is Remote CubeScript needed?
Sauerbraten has an outdated user experience in some areas. A server, for example, cannot show even a simple yes/no dialog to its clients, and all interactions with the server must go through the now standard hash command mechanism (#help, #info, #geoip ...). Furthermore, it is not possible to send a new map to players, so are either stuck with the default set of stock maps, or they have to go download a (possibly sparse and intricate) set of files.
Remote CubeScript allows the server to manage a great part of this for the client. Just to mention a few examples, one can
  • show clickable menus to players
  • download maps
  • bind keys to server-specific commands
In waiting for proper support of these operation in the vanilla client, rcs aims principally to provide players and mappers a way to play new maps which are being tested for a new release, and in general a better user experience.

How do I install and remove Remote CubeScript?
You install rcs run these commands (commands are just like chat messages):
/mastername pisto.horse
/updatefrommaster
This dialog will confirm that rcs is installed. To uninstall it, type
/rcs_uninstall
and a console message will confirm its removal.

I use wc-ng, and I get an error "master server sent an invalid command" during installation, what is it?
wc-ng is warning you that letting a remote server run cubescript on your client is potentially dangerous. Go to the next question for details. You can retry to install rcs in wc-ng by first issuing this command:
/allowmasterserverscripts 1

What are the security implications of rcs?
By allowing a remote server to run cubescript, you are trusting the server not to do evil things on your installation. However, cubescript is limited by the kind of commands that can be run. It is not possible to actually read a file and upload it to the server, for example. The risk which comes with rcs then is much smaller than downloading a program (such as a client mod) from the internet and running it. Basically, the main risk is that the server can maliciously, or by mistake, corrupt your configuration: for example, it can wipe all your key bindings.

Who will be able to run cubescript after installing rcs?
The code sent by pisto.horse allows all game servers on pisto.horse (currently 92.222.69.15) to run cubescript, only when you are connected to them. Hence, it is my (pisto) complete responsibility of what is run on your client. If you don't know me, I've been active for a long time in the Sauerbraten scene, and my I have coded an anticheat client for the now defunct tournament swl (this and that archive.org links), and I'm now coding a server mod called spaghettimod. The most popular server that I manage is ZOMBIE OUTRBREAK! (pisto.horse 6666).

Will rcs overwrite my maps when the server sends one?
Always and in any case, backups of both the map (.ogz) and configuration file (.cfg) are made.

I am a power user, and I want to know exactly how this works.
The code sent by the pseudo master server is here. The code installs itself in the mapstart, gamehud and edithud aliases in order to be activated when you join the server, and to poll at every frame if the maptitle is runnable as cubescript. In such case, it first checks that the server is allowed to run cubescript (the list of allowed addresses is in alias rcs_allowed_servers), and if positive it finally runs it. The server side code to send cubescript is here. During installation, the master server is reset to "sauerbraten.org", and your preexisting mapstart, gamehud and edithud aliases are moved to rcs_mapstart_real, rcs_gamehud_real and rcs_edithud_real, which are in turn called by the rcs hooks.

This thing is made for the server "reissen? FUCK YOU!", however there is no mentioning of it in the server itself, why is that?
Getting a modded server on the official server list requires an individual approval of eihrul. The deal for this server, due to the security implications outlined above, was that I wouldn't publicize rcs on the server itself, in order not to set a precedent and have a large number of other parties require something similar.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:01:19 AM by pisto »

pisto

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:19 AM »
placeholder for mapper's FAQ

Fear

• +3/-2
  • Don't worry...it's only smellz!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:56:48 AM »
Props for the name and the idea! ;D

Zoocata

• +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I saw this and wanted to connect and vote reissen just to see if it bans me. That should be a function ^^

pisto

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »
I will implement that ASAP.

bbk

• +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 01:23:03 AM »
Wow, this is very cool! GJ!