• +0/-0
Honzik1 suggestions
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:49 PM »
I have also some features in my head which could be done:

1) Many of them I listed here yesterday in official Sauer forum:
http://cubeengine.com/forum.php?action=display_thread&thread_id=2673

2) Low health visual and audio notice like heart ticking in SauerEnhanced Mod:
http://youtu.be/uRmffje5WsM?t=1m50s
I used to play with SauerEnhanced a lot in past and this feature was very nice to get used to it, because you did not have to read health numbers during fight and you knew then you should hide a little more or you will die.

3) I suggest to add feature of changing radar FOV depended on player speed (XY speed, not speed in Z axis like jumppads etc). Would be nice to see bigger area during running on enemy base for example. FOV could change in steps (2 or 3 FOV-steps depended on player speed) or you can make it growing linear without steps dependend on player speed. FOV should not change instantly but with some delay while zooming or unzooming.

4) Enhanced zoom options - For example I use unofficial zoom script because official one cannot do what I want. My zoomscript automatically unzoom only when I have rifle and it unzoom when left button is released which means it automatically unzoom when I shot after release the shot button. This automaticall unzoom avoid of accidentally pressing zoom when I was just killed which means I zoomed directly after spawn......you know this situation for example when you shot after spawn but that shot should be done in previous situation. So same situation with zooming when you wanted to unzoom in previous situation. /comed settings windows could also show some zoom settings like zoomfov, zoominvel, zoomsens etc

5) There are so much colors I can change in Comed but I am missing teamchat text color. I do not like orange color, because red or orange colors is color of bad guys for me, but teammates are good guys :)

6) It would be very nice if scoreboard could show one performance graph of all players like on duel.gg So that graph would show same ammount of colored lines depended on how many players are there. Graph would show growing frags (Y axis) in time (X axis). This would be nice to watch game performance of each during duels.

7) I suggest to not replace Comed graphic icons like radar icons, because for example I do not like new Comed radar icons, so I had to revert it back to original ones. I suggest put new graphic to some outside folder and Comed should offer checkbox which say "original radar icons: on/off" or "original HUD icons: on/off" etc

8 ) Instead of waiting 5 seconds to spawn, it would be nice to see 3 seconds my death replay from the enemy view. I dont know how hard this could be to implement....mayby client could cache somehow last 3 seconds of everyone and then after my death it will just replay the scene from enemy view. Also do not forget that autospawn feature which I described in Sauer forum :)

9) Some hit sound while clicking in main menu would be nice same like you can hear it in SauerEnhanced video which I posted above.

10) Managing teams like "switchteam, unspectate, kick,..." could be done in indentically looking GUI like scoreboard window just with additional icons at each name. Actually original master menu is messy mixed heap of players. If this master menu would looks just like actual scoreboard, it would be +120% more intuitive to setup teams in GUI looking exactly same or similar to real scoreboard.

11) One last questions - is Comed depended on official release? For example,... can you add new gamemode and only servers with this mode will be visible just for players using Comed client?

I know that all my ideas are easy to say. I know there are many hours of work behind it, but I think my ideas could make Comed even more popular. Thank for your answers.

Suicizer

• +6/-5
Re: Honzik1 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »
Nice example of a spamming topic throughout the community.
Well, let's spam my comment also.

Although it are all nice suggestions; some of them certainly miss the goal of Sauerbraten is only an example of a game running on Cube Engine 2; not the other way around.
Anyway....

I agree with points not mentioned and you've got my blessings.

6) That shouldn't be done unless it there's a protocol which downloads .zip-files and execute those; not just separate files. So kind of like ID Tech 3 and 4 handles it's .pk3 and .pk4-files but then for Cube Engine 2. But even then there are some bastards which are able to mess with your client version by changing certain options so it's a tough job to get that working actually.
It's pretty easy to make someone's Sauerbraten crash by messing with just a shader-setting that can be loaded from a map's cfg (I've personally been there for myself).

7) /spectator 0; setmaster 1; spectator 1.

10) That should NEVER EVER be done as it would turn Sauerbraten in some "promode" at default.
Things like modifying the playerskin for the sake to play better is cheating to me. /fullbrightmodel does the job perfectly.

11) I guess you've never noticed the mod of deathcam where you were following the person who killed you after death...
As Papriko mentioned; how it currently is, is intended that way.

a) Playing a 300 minute long game sounds lame in the first place so perhaps the time is the problem, not the HB.

d) Ever heard of the option to kill that opponent? It might just work.

k) You remember the round system of tactics? It made the mode unique and relaxed to play. I think that system should be brought back and even refined so the rounds have a time limit also while the match has a round limit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:06:51 PM by Suicizer »

Honzik1

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
Nice example of a spamming topic throughout the community.
Well, let's spam my comment also.

I agree with points not mentioned and you've got my blessings.

6) That shouldn't be done unless it there's a protocol which downloads .zip-files and execute those; not just separate files. So kind of like ID Tech 3 and 4 handles it's .pk3 and .pk4-files but then for Cube Engine 2. But even then there are some bastards which are able to mess with your client version by changing certain options so it's a tough job to get that working actually.
It's pretty easy to make someone's Sauerbraten crash by messing with just a shader-setting that can be loaded from a map's cfg (I've personally been there for myself).

7) /spectator 0; setmaster 1; spectator 1.

10) That should NEVER EVER be done as it would turn Sauerbraten in some "promode" at default.
Things like modifying the playerskin for the sake to play better is cheating to me. /fullbrightmodel does the job perfectly.

11) I guess you've never noticed the mod of deathcam where you were following the person who killed you after death...
As Papriko mentioned; how it currently is, is intended that way.

a) Playing a 300 minute long game sounds lame in the first place so perhaps the time is the problem, not the HB.

d) Ever heard of the option to kill that opponent? It might just work.

k) You remember the round system of tactics? It made the mode unique and relaxed to play. I think that system should be brought back even refine it so the rounds have a time limit also while the match has a round limit.

Post is different, please learn to read carefully.

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
SUICIZER, IF YOU ARE GOING TO COME HERE TO PREACH ABOUT WHAT THE PURPOSE OF THE GAME IS, GO BACK TO THE CUBEENGINE FORUMS. WE ARE FOCUSED ON

SAUERBRATEN AS A GAME,

NOT CUBE2 AS AN ENGINE.

I could see 2 being a fun feature, although not one I would use.

3, I'm not sure what you mean, though if I'm interpreting it correctly, that would just be annoying.

4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 seem nice.

8 is something which could again, be cool, but not really something I'd ever want to devote resources towards.

11: I am quite certain that it is depended only on the official release.

Quality

• +0/-0
  • Guitarthusiest :P
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »
Hey, really nice ideas.
I especially like 3 & 10, which also shouldn't be that hard to implement.. I'm surely goin to add some things of your list to my client  8)
btw: could you explain 6 a bit more? that also sounds interesting :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:09:32 AM by Quality »

Honzik1

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »
Hey, really nice ideas.
I especially like 3 & 10, which also shouldn't be that hard to implement.. I'm surely goin to add some things of your list to my client  8)
btw: could you explain 6 a bit more? that also sounds interesting :P

6) If you look here for example: http://duel.gg/duel/272900294/ you can see graph Y (frags) and X (time). It could be nice to see this performance chart in scoreboard live too. It could be done also for more than 2 players. There will be just more colored lines and graph legend (or colored cn number in scoreboard) under which is telling which color is who on the graph. Implementation could be something like client is getting informations about actual score each 1 second and it will draw frags into the 10 minutes graph. When you connect in middle of the game, graph will miss previous data, because this will be just client side without server support.

Btw, what is your client?

Quality

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
My client is "QuEd": in case you're interested just take a look at the <a href="https://github.com/quality-edition/QuEd">github project</a>..
i liked you're ideas 3 & 9 and added them, as well as no. 10 (which i'm currently working on, it might become quite useful...) ;)

Honzik1

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
My client is "QuEd": in case you're interested just take a look at the <a href="https://github.com/quality-edition/QuEd">github project</a>..
i liked you're ideas 3 & 9 and added them, as well as no. 10 (which i'm currently working on, it might become quite useful...) ;)

I wanted to build last version but I cannot find qued.cpb  :(

Quality

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
should be there now ;)

Honzik1

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »
should be there now ;)
Thanks but it could not be compiled. I wanna compile version 1.8

Quality

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
try it with the latest version.. this should work just fine

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:18 PM »
please don't hijack the topics.

@honzik i will respond soon
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:07:32 PM by star »

Quality

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »
sorry, you can delete my posts if you wish

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »
sorry, you can delete my posts if you wish

i don't want you to delete anything. it just would be better to just open a new topic, so that nobody deviates from the the original topic. you might wanna post a link then.

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 09:13:02 PM »
Ok, I finally took some time to do shit. So here my respons:

There are many good, but equally many are not within the scope of the comed project i am afraid.

To make one thing clear beforehand: We can't and we don't want to replace or fork sauerbraten. We are just trying to enhance the gaming experience, while still using the collect protocol number. That means we are just doing stuff, that doesn't require a new network protocol or a server modification. All the tweaks are more or less hacky.( For example the damage dealt is calculated using the N_DAMAGE and N_HITPUSH messages. )

We want to encourage the player to customize his client to his likings, without forcing him to use any specific thing. Note: this takes a lot of work, testing and user feedback!

That said, things I simply can't put on our wish list are the following:
  • performance graph
  • radar-speed connection
  • deathreplay from enemy view

Those require too much work and would be better suited in projects like inexor or in future sauerbraten releases.

Furthermore, there are features already solved with cube-script, which we also don't like to address. We primarily want to focus on stuff that can't be done with cube-script alone. However we also extend the cube-script possibilities, like enabling variables like the events /onspawn = [command]
or /ondeath = [command]. The zoom problems you describe are one of those cube-script solvable things. Have a look at my script here:
http://sauerworld.org/forum/index.php?topic=41.msg157#msg157

Which solves the issue of not spawning zoomed, while having a 'push-to-zoom' button.
I agree that we have to encourage more to post their scripts on the forum. I've seen many genius zoom-scripts and others in the past, it's a shame that they rot in some dark corner. Maybe you can help?

Things I think are possible and will be included are:
  • extending the colour adjustments of the team chat colours
  • click sounds in the menu
  • team-management gui (might also be done with cubescript )

The issue with the radar icon has already been solved and just I realized that it is missing in the documentation.
use: /flatgui [0|1]

To answer question 11) yes comed is dependend on the official release. However, as you all know, the sauerbraten settings could be improved very much. From a competitive standpoint they just suck. We'd someday like to create a first test client, called 'sauerbraten-pro-mode' where we use different gamesettings together with another protocol version, so that those won't conflict with eachother.
These things were already discussed by players, such as notas, echo-echo, acuerta, chaos, swattlama and many others... We all wish a better ffa mode and more competitive gameplay.
How ever, this is still far away and we lack manpower to get this thing rolling. There are more urgent projects at hand, such as this client, sdos and the sauercom blog.