Sandstorm2

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Sandstorm2
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:14:15 AM »

--------Edit 5/11/2015--------

I really need to follow the saying "a map is never truly finished". I had some help from Redon on this one as well with some geometry tweaks and item re-placement. Not too much has changed besides that, but the last release has turned out to not be the final version.

To keep things more organized and archived, I have added all lists of updates and releases of the map here on this original post. Make sure you download the latest one attached here at the bottom.

---------Original Post--------

This is a rework of a duel map I posted to quadropolis not too long ago. It is aimed to be a high fragging insta and effic duel map, you will see the similarities to turbine. However I tried to make it nice for FFA as well with carefully placed items. Anyone who downloads the map, let me know if you find any bugs or anything. Otherwise, play the map!

To install: download sandstorm.zip from the attachment below. Open the zip file and move the files inside to your "base" folder. On Windows: put them in "documents/mygames/sauerbraten/packages/base". On mac: "library/applicationsupport/sauerbraten/packages/base". Type /map sandstorm in game, and enjoy!

--------Updates--------

Update from Quadropolis 8/9/2014:

-Added some details and lighting thanks to Chasester_aka_you
-Added low wall along far edge making it harder to fall off into the death clip
-Got rid of the Egyptian theme and replaced the textures with iron textures from the rest of the map
-Switched up some of the smoke colors
-Got rid of the blue lights in the rooms, replacing them with more yellow lights
-No-clipped the fallen pillar in the death clip so you can't stand on it
-Changed the fog from 600 to 1000 (thought this looked better)
-Changed the name from Sandstorm to Khamsin (Thanks to Mmeanignlez for picking up on this one)
-Moved a few things around for better flow (Thanks to Savanha and rabe for the suggestions)
-Improved the lighting (sunlight, skylight, and light entities), changed the skybox, and got rid of the clouds (Thanks to rabe for the suggestions)

Update #1 (From Sauerworld) 12/1/2014:

-Bug fixes
-Appearance things (lights etc.)
-Added more health
-Swapped quad for healthboost
-Darkened skylight and ambient light (be sure to add new .cfg to your folder)

Update #2 12/23/2014:

-Changed the name to sandstorm2 in consideration to the original "sandstorm".
-Added ambience/wind.ogg as a map sound
-Changed a few pickups
-Some little things not worth mentioning
-Added a readme as requested by the Inexor team

Update #3 5/11/2015:

-Some geometry tweaks
-Item re-placements thanks to Redon
-Other small changes

NOTE: The latest version of the map is "sandstorm2_update3" below.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:21:07 AM by Fatality »

star

• +19/-5
Re: Sandstorm
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
I liked the old version, but I love the rework!
An appropriate amount of ammo around, nice positions for the amour/quad (although I think quad shouldn't be available on duel maps) and the tele is marvellous and the surroundings supplement the atmosphere of the map greatly. I'd maybe replace some of the ammo with health bubbles.

Most certainly your best work so far! Very well done!

PS: this should definitive go into the sw mappack of maps suited for clanwars/duels

Fear

• +3/-2
  • Don't worry...it's only smellz!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »
Looks great!
Looking forward to play some duels on it :)

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
Update:
-Bug fixes
-Appearance things (lights etc.)
-Added more health
-Swapped quad for healthboost
-Darkened skylight and ambient light (be sure to add new .cfg to your folder)

Enjoy

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
Although the name has been used before, I still like it's looks and plays.

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
I like the latest improvements , definetly better flow and you fixed everything included the jumppad , well done  brilliant little map. Uh and i actually liked the previous name more .. khamsin ? Well, details

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
Ah the name :P I know I had it originally called sandstorm and was informed that there was an old map already called this, so I changed it to Khamsin (which if i remember was some alternative for the word sandstorm, can't say I put a lot of effort into it :D). I didn't like this though, it doesn't really flow off the tongue nice and looks ugly, and since I sort of built it now to be in Inexor, I don't have to worry about the older map. Anyway it isn't important to me, I will think about changing it again if people agree :)

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
I love the tele! But as frosty said in-game, it may be funner better by being placed here where the rocket explosion is (http://imgur.com/erzAVH5) and have it launch the player in this direction (http://imgur.com/lpR2zrw).

It has a healthy level of fog for the map size. The lighting could be a little higher-end, a little more elegant. If you've seen Nyamm's "frozen 2" the new orange lighting on the sides of the map would probably go well here. It's like yours, but a little more high quality, it has a little more pop. Less dull.

If you want only one powerup, I'd go with a HB where you currently have the quad. If you want both, it would be cool to put one (probably quad, it'll dominate on a map of this size) here (http://i.imgur.com/EBuPtks.jpg).

Overall though, just the type of map isn't too playable for good ffa, in my opinion. It's too much like turbine, or complex, or something, and that doesn't give very good ffa gameplay. Good thing very few people care! :D Looks good for efficiency and insta.

Obviously, change out the pistol pickups. Useless.

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 02:33:33 AM »
Final update to the map, this is the last time i change anything

@swatllama, I like the lighting, it's one of my favorite parts of the map. If anything, it is a huge improvement from what this map originally had (check out the version on quad). I think you downloaded the originally posted version, which is why you had a quad. I changed it to a healthboost in the last one. I played around with the teledest, and it was pretty fun to have it aim toward the bullets there, but with the jumppads in the teleport it doesn't really work. You might get launched off the top platform when you don't want to.

Updated:
-Changed the name to sandstorm2 in consideration to the original "sandstorm".
-Added ambience/wind.ogg as a map sound
-Changed a few pickups
-Some little things not worth mentioning
-Added a readme as requested by the Inexor team

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:19:05 PM by Fatality »

Redon

• +2/-1
Darude - Sandstorm
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 05:48:18 AM »
this is the last time i change anything

So I'll download it and throw some feedback at you anyway. I hope you'll consider it.
A map can always be improved.

If I explain things you know already, as I probably will, feel free to ignore it, I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Anyone reading this is free and welcome to disagree with what I say and to correct me.

Layout

Not much to say here. You did a great job and I think this map will become a favorite for effic and insta. I love the jumppad teleport.

Pickups

Main reason for this reply to be honest, so it comes next. I know the map's aimed at effic and insta, but I still want to bring this up.

For the size of your map, I think there are too many items. You can argue that this comes down to a matter of preference, but I see it like this: Part of the challenge in ffa is managing your ammo and health, and trying to deny your opponent the items they need by taking them for yourself. That strategic potential is greatly reduced or lost altogether when a map throws at you everything you need, anywhere you go.

sandstorm is a very small map compared to most duel maps out there, yet it has more items than most.

For the reference

rockets (4): A powerful weapon, so ammo should be used sparsely. Depending on how dominant you want the RL to be, either one or two should be appropriate, or at most three if you really enjoy rocket spam. 4 is too much for this map. I recommend 2.

bullets (4): Same as above. Personally, I would consider three of both over the top, four of both is worse. This being such an open map makes the abundance of bullets more of an issue than rockets. I would place only 2.

shells (4): A lot of ammo per pack, and usually serves as a secondary weapon, so their placement is more of a matter of how far a player needs to walk before finding their first pack of shells. Usually, anywhere from three to five is fine, as is 4 for this map. You might want to have these well spread out across the map, so I'd move this one and place it somewhere in this general area instead.

riflerounds (3): On average, frequency should be somewhere between shells and rockets/bullets. 3 is generous but fine, consider moving one of the two packs in the lower part of the map and placing it somewhere in the area to the right of the jumppad. Is there a reason you want to of them in the same spot?

grenades (3): Same as above. Consider reducing number of packs to two.

cartridges: If you're feeling cheeky. I like your cartridges placement across the map (:

health (7): The number here varies. Some maps have very few health packs (complex, hashi), some maps have a lot of them. Just be aware that this has a big impact on the way a map plays. The more health there is, the easier it is to keep yourself alive and stay in control of an ffa game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it may be intentional. 7 is a lot of health for a map as tiny as sandstorm. Personally, I like maps with a medium amount of health, so I would have placed anywhere from 3 to 5.

Keep in mind these are suggestions assuming you're aiming for a balanced, average distribution of ammopacks. If you want your map to be heavier on some weapon type than another, it's fine to add more of that and less of the rest. I simply think the gameplay suffers from having too much of rockets and bullets, and then some of the rest.

The placement of GA, YA and HB is great.

What's up with all the flags?

Lighting

I can't find anything wrong with it, the lighting looks great. I especially like how you placed the bigger radius light of some of the outdoor lamps close to the ground. Whether it was intentional or not, it creates a soft spotlight-like effect that I don't think I've seen before.

Clipping

There's one decorative bit that can get in the way of jumps from and to the little rocket platform. Just moving it up one or two cubes looks just as nice and solves the problem. Before - After plus some clipping

I was going to mention the skyclipping you put over the stairs on this map and pandora, but after noticing how nicely they make movement smoother down the stairs and diagonally, I think I like it. Two things to consider: They change the way grenades bounce off the stairs in a way a player won't expect. It also seems like an odd solution to a problem that should be solved on the side of the game engine. But then again, there's a lot more mapping tricks that fall into that category.

I understand the cartridges are a joke, but for consistency I think it'd be better to clip all pillars the same way. If you do jump on there for whatever reason, it sucks to slide off because it doesn't behave like the rest.
For the same reason I'd clip the greenarmour, even though it's usually hardly a problem. With something like this, you can prevent the odd case anyway in which a jump doesn't quite make it up from the taller side.

Some pipes that were left out could also use some clipping. I managed to get stuck between these, and the small ones can bounce you off if you riflejump against the curve in the wrong way. Can't do this section without some nitpicking.

Geometry and Texturing

The geometry is nice in most parts, some details like the pipes, turbines and framework pieces all around the map and in the background add a lot to it.

I don't like the way this pokes out instead of following the wall. Nor do I like the way the lamps aren't aligned, although that may be on purpose? It's not easy to find a satisfying solution for that corner, but I prefer something like this.

I think there is some room for improvement on the texturing. Some parts look good, others show you've gotten a little lazy along the way hmmm (: Some parts look a little too flat to me because they have neither interesting texturing nor geometry.

I like the floor pattern you used down here a lot more than the rather repetitive one in the top section.

If you experiment with all the textures available to you, and try to match geometry with texturing, you can discover a lot of ways to make sections look more detailed without requiring a lot of geometry. Example on framework: before and after. That goes off into nitpicking territory again though, maybe for the another map. ::)

btw i pimped your pipe (:

That's all I can think of now, I hope we can take a look at the map and try to find anything I may have forgotten. All in all, it's a great map already - it's hard to find anything significant to complain about here. Keep it up  ;D

tl;dr: fewer ammopacks please
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:30:18 AM by nyamms »

Fatality

• +10/-0
Re: Sandstorm2
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 02:21:24 AM »
Map updated yo. Check original post