Sauerworld Forum

offactf

savanha

• +3/-5
offactf
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »
I'm uploading a small map (3v3) I've been working on for quite a long time , although the actual ammount of hours spent on it it's very low ( 4-5 hours ) . This is due to the fact that it's a modified version of offa1 by Dairy king and Jake .
I thought it had good proportions , flow ,  original layout and I was inspired by his aesthetic so I tried to revive it .

I simply mirrored it ( t-chen's style :D ) and did some small changes to adapt it to ctf modes ( also playbale in hold and capture ) and I'm finally quite satisfied with this result . I tried to modifed it the less possible , therefore i didnt change the lighting ( although has I've read on quadropolis this point was largely criticized ) cause I honestly like its atmosphere with its empty cold corridors , It really gives me the idea of the cold . About the fog it doesn't seem to me like a big issue for the gameplay ( as in "abbey") and it also enhance the atmosphere but I'm open minded on this point and ready to change it if..

Well that's all check it out and let me know thanks.

oh yea I'll package the original and the modified version so just merge the "packages" folder into your own one.

Suicizer

• +6/-5
Re: offactf
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »
Where's that link to the original node?

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »
you know where it is

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:30:36 PM »
you know where it is

No I don't. Put in the description of this node the link to the original map please.
This might not be necessary towards the license of the original map, but is in respect of the original author(s).
Including the original map into your own zip-file shouldn't be done also, as that might not be the intention of the original author.
Pay respect towards what has been created in the past and handle it with care please.

P.S.
The packaging could be more up to date; dropping content like textures and skyboxes right into the base directory is something people did back in 2009 (which creates a complete chaos after even a few of such attempts). Please stick to the directories of textures, mapsounds, mapmodels and skyboxes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:11:34 PM by Suicizer »

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
Well, time for a view.

It feels like the intentions of the map has been put incorrectly. For example, Jake and Dairyking can't be blamed for not using textureblending back in those days (as there wasn't yet), but there definitely could be some right now.

The lighting seems broken. The original had a lot of ambient lights which gave it a cold and mysterious atmosphere. This version seems to lack that.

I also noticed certain lightmap errors which appear from skylight, like in the next screenshot. This can be fixed by the command skytexturelight 0.

Also; what about noclipping those dark grey stone platforms? They seem to be purely decorative yet you bump against them when trying to get on top of it.

About the clipping any further; the trimming around the doorway in the centre of the map isn't noclipped (while it is in the original). Players get stuck in it when trying to take the corner (forwards or backwards).
The ceiling of clip on top of the map is pretty broken; Players are able get on top of the ceiling of clip by using the Quad, a YA and 2 rockets and a teammate. However; they could also stick to just the centre of each base and stay on top of the roof.
In either case, just fill the ceiling of clip so no one can actually get on top or within it. This also increases the PVS culling of the map.

The new style of geometry feels like being copied from curvy_castle (that diagonal windows towards each other), while the rest of the map isn't having such shape at all.

The map contains 2 quaddamages which feels way too much for any map. Perhaps a HB for each team would be reasonable, but not this.

The original had 8 playerstarts (which is relatively low), this one has 26. That's quite a good job, although that's about only 6 playerstarts each team, as that could be more.

It's a very nice attempt and the original map surely could be a ctf map or capture map; but not like this. Old deathmatch maps shouldn't be hijacked and turned into a ctf maps as they have a different gameplay and purpose. Adding even some bases for capture or hold feels wrong also.

P.S.
I'm sure there once was another map in the very same style (not nmp10). Can't remember how it was called though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:53:52 PM by Suicizer »

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
I was surely not expecting that a guy who made a ctf map with evil spawns in the good's base and vice versa , and with  an only way to the other side throught a small middle door could give a proper feedback . Thanks for the skytexturelight tip though , it was the only useful thing you said.

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »
I was surely not expecting that a guy who made a ctf map with evil spawns in the good's base and vice versa , and with  an only way to the other side throught a small middle door could give a proper feedback . Thanks for the skytexturelight tip though , it was the only useful thing you said.

Your first step to learn when receiving feedback is.
Keep comments as feedback.
People who comment don't want to harm you. They only want to help you by putting you on the right track (which you often aren't aware off else you wouldn't have uploaded it in that state).
This is difficult, I know as I made that mistake myself several times. Despite that, you''ll notice soon or later that the intentions of nearly everyone which gives feedback is good and true.

The second  step what you have to learn when receiving feedback is:
Stick to your content only.
Don't mention any content made by the commenters; that's their business. Keep the topic over here. You can start a flamewar within your own node, but that eventually isn't paying off in more and/or better feedback.

Now read my feedback once again.

P.S.
I should make a guide for this...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:52:37 PM by Suicizer »

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
My bad should have found a more gentle way to say I don't think you provided clever thoughts on the map , pix in 5 minutes gave a way more usefull feedback .

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:58:40 AM »
My bad should have found a more gentle way to say I don't think you provided clever thoughts on the map , pix in 5 minutes gave a way more usefull feedback .

That's your opinion and I''ll respect that ^^.
Perhaps soon or later you'll notice what my intentions actually were. Good luck with improving the map or any other work.

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »
The map has been updated :

- moved the flags into a new room for a more complex and longer flagrun ( as it was too easy before )
- fixed some clipping
- fixed the jumppads
- enhanced the lighting

updated version linked  below  ( still the package , which is properly done as it was before , include the original map offa1 so that everyone can enjoy that too ) .

looking forward for feedback on the gameplay ,

greetings

rabe

• +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
Finally downloaded the package after playing without config and textures yesterday. Didn't think too much about the gameplay yet, have to get more familiar with the layout.
Just some points/ideas about the appearance:

The outside: That "floating island" looks kinda strange to me. Wouldn't it fit the theme more, if the buildings would stand on a snowy mountain? You could make some deep cuttings/canyons between the buildings, into which players would fall. Or just some slippery ice, where they cannot get out.

The fog: The fog needs to be tweaked in my opinion. Maybe its my settings, but it just looks a white wall moving back, when i approach it.

The lights: Is there anything but the skylight at 160 and a relatively high ambient value (25)? What about lowering the ambient value and putting some light sources (torches) in the buildings, or breaking some holes into the roofs?

Details: Besides that nice map so far. Clean look. Would not overdo it, but some blendmapping would be nice like suicizer said. Also jumppads and teles could be made to fit the theme a little more (no idea, how though).

Looking forward to play it again.

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Updated . I tried to apply some of rabe's suggestions . Thanks mate .

Download below this post , enjoy .

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
Hereby posting the last version of the map