Stolen and Cartel

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Stolen and Cartel
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:09:29 AM »
This one is a two-in-one package :)

Stolen: A map that me and Potato made for fun, which came out to be a pretty decent duel map. We dove into it one night with the intention to create the entire thing that night, but of course only got about 90% of it done (which is still a pretty big feat imo). It has finally been finished after sitting for a couple months. Hope you enjoy :)

Cartel: Another old map I created a while back, but recently have dug back up and improved a bit (with some help from nyamms/Redon). I will still call it a "work in progress" but it is at least at a stage now where it is presentable. A larger duel map made for FFA, though turns out to work better in effic/insta. Enjoy :)

EDIT: This map has been updated, please refer to the most recent post for the newest version of the map!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:35:37 AM by Fatality »

savanha

• +3/-5
Re: Stolen and Cartel
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »

About stolen : I found the greenarmor where it is a bit difficult to take , the space is really tiny I like better the hole with the health entities at the opposite corner  , for flow's sake , otherwise i would swamp the green with the yellow armor which is now easier to take.
And dude I like your maps but for god sake stop trolling with those ammo for pistol ! xD !

About cartel : beautifully done the atmosphere and I very appreciated the bases for capture / hold
in fact I think this map would work at its best  for 2v2 it just has the good size , I'd even play eteam
and teamplay . Watchout the minimapheigh  though I think it's too high .
 Would be nice if for the next tournaments  some of these custom maps were used .
So people don't be boring !get this map into your packages so that ,next time we are 4 in a server waiting for 2 more to play ectf forge ( again ), we can play this instead !

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
And dude I like your maps but for god sake stop trolling with those ammo for pistol ! xD !

Hahaha, you don't like the pistol? :D...point taken

I think swatllama also mentioned Cartel would be better for 2v2s, I might make it just a little bit bigger and make it exclusively for that, instead of a duel map

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:18 PM »
Other people can cover the insta/effic perspective of both maps, so I'll cover the aspect which no one cares about.

I agree with Savvy that the GA and YA should be swapped. Pistol pickups are absolutely useless, so remove those. A lot of the ammo pickups are too close together, and there are too many. It is a small ffa map, but it's not like it plays the way turbine does. It's more like douze, in that there are actually some tactics despite the style of the map (pit).

I counted four rocket pickups. I think you should remove this one, and put that rifle pickup where the rocket is. http://i.imgur.com/MN9Siys.jpg
There are what, four grenade pickups? Remove these two, probably:  http://i.imgur.com/u5CpkP3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZeKfvWQ.jpg (one left of crosshair) You might notice I took out the pistol pickups in the screens ^^

The map may need some more pickup cleaning up, or repositioning, but this would be a solid start.

Cartel,
It is a little bit difficult to get up on the shown platform of boxes (http://imgur.com/w72fDi9) when coming from left if facing this way (http://imgur.com/uwvVzOw). This passage can be useful, but can also be really dangerous if your enemy has adequate position onto there (http://imgur.com/GFhZmq4). Therefore, might be better to make the risk worth the reward, and put in a rocket pickup there. This would put the map at four rocket pickups, might prove to be an issue.
I want a beam of light here (http://imgur.com/2AmjILb) if at all possible. While giving no gameplay value, that'd be cool.
I am seeing the blue tint Potato was talking about cause of the fog, but I actually like that. Depending on how much you expand it, might have to decrease it a wee bit.
The great thing about expanding it a little and making it good for 2v2 is that it'll still probably be good for duels, like hades or corruption are, but still good for 2v2. If you do that. It's still probably playable for 2v2, but it'd be very intense. Adding another GA for a map  with the intention being 2v2 could be good too, I always like that.

hades

• +5/-0
    • w00p
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
fatality never fails to impress me, gj d00d

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:38:21 AM »
After a lot of work and help from nyamms and swatllama, I present a new version of Cartel. I added a whole new section to make it more suitable for teamplay 2v2's but still good for FFA duels. The lighting has been improved as well as some details and geometry. Hope you enjoy :)

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
Stolen
When I looked at the screenshot; I was the least fond of this map due it's plain white light which is cloaking the map.
After checking ingame (the first directory called stolen in the zip-file is unnecessary and perhaps causing clutter when trying /addzip), I noticed you've finished off edges nice and clean (on platforms but on stairs as well). I personally like that as it adds contrast to the texturing and looks more finished.
The waypoints seems good also, kudos to that.

I noticed the skybox is out of place compared to the sunlight (pretty obvious with a sunlightpitch of 90), which gives a quite unrealistic result. Perhaps you want to use another skybox or set the pitch a bit lower? The closed and high mountains could use some polish anyway as it feels like they have been chopped off right now.

There's a playerstart right on top of the YA (or vice versa). Personally I'm not really font of creating such opportunities of luck towards players.
What's the use of the teleport? You're spawning just a few cubes away which only takes a blink of an eye to kill you at the teledest for your opponent when taking the teleport. It's also not a very tactical position which you are spawning in as you're in full sight from nearly anywhere when stepping out of that closed doorway.
Adding jumppads right in open ground is a deathbringer also; you've got to be sure your opponent can't hit you because you'll be dead before you even hit the upper platform. So rather give them some cover or place them more tactical.

Conclusion
I've seen better layouts and better maps which you've created. It feels so far too flat with nearly any cover at all. The layout looks quite identical to turbine; but misses the elements of play which makes it a good map. I would suggest to take a better look at other maps once more.
However, I still got to mention that the originality in details and theme of this map feels higher than that of cartel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:43:28 PM by Suicizer »

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
Cartel
I was pretty interested when seeing this map for the first time on a screenshot. It also seems to be a more serious map than stolen.

The skybox feels out of place on this map also. There seems to be light emitted from a pretty bright moon or sun but there is none appearing in the angle of where it seems to be emitted. This can be seen clearly in the room of the YA.
The lighting itself is pretty dull, for example in the very same room (that of the YA); there are plenty torches, yet no proper ambient light.

The flow and gameplay seems more spicy here. There's plenty enough cover while pickups are scattered more logical. I personally like that as you're not always exposed to enemy fire and have a bit of time to get your focus back for a counter-attack. I do noticed the large amount of teleports; perhaps try to take 1 out as it feels like you should rather use the teleports to travel towards the map as it's quicker that way; then just using your feet and run. Maybe you could whipe out the teleport near the YA and link teledest 2 to teleport 1 (and remove teledest 1 also).
A map should also work pretty flawless without any teleport; they should be added to spice it up a bit.

What about noclipping the torches? They are pretty annoying getting stuck into (as for example those at the shortcut with some shells spawning on the stairs).
I still have to mention that although the map is providing cover; the pathways aren't feeling connected towards each other for a deathmatch map. So perhaps decreasing the space of the outter pathways to something more tight and making it more open is better for the gameplay as now you're forced to move around your cover.

Conclusion
There's certainly some potency in the map if it keeps improving.
Although it doesn't feel like a deathmatch map in it's current state (long side paths with barely any connection to the rest of the map), I'm sure it could.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:46:37 PM by Suicizer »