Sauerworld Forum

MD2 Playermodel Problems

SpaceToast64

• +0/-0
MD2 Playermodel Problems
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:46:04 AM »
(First of all, I'd like to say I'm new to the forum, if this doesn't belong in this category let me know.)

Hi, I am working on porting the custom Yoshi Quake 2 model. It works for the most part but I am having a few (minor) glitches with the model such as the gun for example just floats under his foot (this problem I have had with all Quake 2 models) and his walking animation doesn't work when you use any weapon other than the pistol.

I think it is probably a .cfg issue, the Cube 2 Wiki didn't really give me too much info. Like, they didn't even tell me how I'm supposed to give the playermodel a VWEP (basically the playermodel's own gun, which all Q2 models do).
"I swear, it's my connection!" - Some guy blaming lag.

Timakrov_Gunn

• +2/-0
  • A living gun
Re: MD2 Playermodel Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
Just to make a suggestion, you could take a look at the md2 version of ogro and see what you can do from there. Chances are that you'll have to make animations (like the walking animation) for the vwep, as well. On the other hand, I would suggest using a different format like md3 due to the game's hard coding, particularly for playermodels.

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
tried to port models to sauer once, failed miserably and got angry... would be really cool to see someone with experience answering here, i think it's long overdue to have some fun with this part of the game.

+1 for yoshi

frosty

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 11:28:11 PM »
you should upload the model files, otherwise its very hard for anyone to legitimately help you without seeing the problem and what was edited

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
Is the model and weapon containing a tag (often called "vwep")?
A weapon will always be on the default place of it has no tags in it, neither if the model has none.
Another option is to set the weapon on exactly the desired place and animate it seperatly from the playermodel (not recommended as it's a pain to do so).
An easier format to do the job (if the model is already animated) is to export to
.md3. You don't need bones (like .md5) can add multiple tags (so you only have to aminate the torso and legs in most cases) , so the head and weapons will follow the arms or torso when making a move.
Misfit Model 3D is an easy but basic program to just add tags and convert models from .md2 to .md3.

There's a prefabrication of all configuration settings (and explanation) which can be used to import a model within Sauerbraten.
http://quadropolis.us/node/3091

A good example of a ported playermodel is in the next link;
http://quadropolis.us/node/3137
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:20:10 PM by Suicizer »