Sauerworld Forum

Sound Issues

Xaracen

• +0/-0
Sound Issues
« on: February 14, 2016, 10:53:26 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I did spend a good half hour searching this forum for a help thread.
Every non vanilla client I have tried to use has had muffled audio, I can get most of the sounds to remain unmuffled, but the ones I can't correct irk me. Changing the sound frequency in the sound options to maximum half fixes this problem, and since I've had this problem with other clients I can safely assume its a problem with me, either I haven't done something that might be blindingly obvious to someone, or it's a deep problem that not many people have. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Re: Sound Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »
I don't have a solution to the your problem unfortunately, but I just wanna say I don't the problem is you. I think it has something to do with SDL2 which some modded clients use (as opposed to vanilla Sauer using SDL1). I had this problem with the ComEd client, the sound was horrible and no one was able to give me a solution. I think it might depend on your setup, operating system, whatever, because some people had the same issue and some didn't. Sorry if this doesn't help at all and if I'm completely clueless about this topic but I figured since no one else responded yet I'd offer what I could.

Timakrov_Gunn

• +2/-0
  • A living gun
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:20:10 AM »
I had this problem previously in the past, too, on ComEd client. Though, some of Sauerbraten's sounds have different sound frequencies to them (like the death sounds). I'm not saying I recommend it since it means modification (granted that you want to keep pure), but you could change the frequencies of those sounds that are sounding muffled to a higher frequency using programs like Audacity, at 44100 Hz at best. If that don't work, you might want to check your speakers/headphones configuration.

Xaracen

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
I had this problem previously in the past, too, on ComEd client. Though, some of Sauerbraten's sounds have different sound frequencies to them (like the death sounds). I'm not saying I recommend it since it means modification (granted that you want to keep pure), but you could change the frequencies of those sounds that are sounding muffled to a higher frequency using programs like Audacity, at 44100 Hz at best. If that don't work, you might want to check your speakers/headphones configuration.
Well, changing the frequency did not fix the problem, and when I played the sound files in audacity they were muffled, so it's as if they lost audio definition when they replaced files, but what did work was me going into the vanilla client playing the sounds while recording, and then exporting that recording as an ogg file. Thank you for suggesting changing the audio files themselves, I had not considered that. I suppose to avoid modding that actual client files you could have the game initialise the sounds from a different, new folder. Would it be against any rules if I recorded the ingame sounds in their best quality, and made a txt file to be executed from autoexec? Another question, would it be against any rules if I distributed those files with a disclaimer that I don't own the files?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:10:01 PM by Xaracen »

Timakrov_Gunn

• +2/-0
  • A living gun
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:16:35 AM »
Well, changing the frequency did not fix the problem, and when I played the sound files in audacity they were muffled, so it's as if they lost audio definition when they replaced files, but what did work was me going into the vanilla client playing the sounds while recording, and then exporting that recording as an ogg file. Thank you for suggesting changing the audio files themselves, I had not considered that. I suppose to avoid modding that actual client files you could have the game initialise the sounds from a different, new folder. Would it be against any rules if I recorded the ingame sounds in their best quality, and made a txt file to be executed from autoexec? Another question, would it be against any rules if I distributed those files with a disclaimer that I don't own the files?

Concerning the first question, I never did any recording ingame for that purpose nor have I actually done any recording, so I'm not sure.
As I mentioned before, some sounds in Sauerbraten have different (by that, I mean lower) frequencies, so obviously if they sound muffled in Audacity, that might be solely just how they were made. Not exactly high quality.

Now, distribution of those sounds? You'll have to look at the licenses for those sounds (there's a readme.txt located at the sound directory). On my honesty, though, you're just better off not redistributing those sounds since they're just modified vanilla sounds.

By the way, you haven't mentioned what particular sounds you were having issues with. What were the sounds you were having problems with?

Xaracen

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 04:04:19 AM »

Concerning the first question, I never did any recording ingame for that purpose nor have I actually done any recording, so I'm not sure.
As I mentioned before, some sounds in Sauerbraten have different (by that, I mean lower) frequencies, so obviously if they sound muffled in Audacity, that might be solely just how they were made. Not exactly high quality.

Now, distribution of those sounds? You'll have to look at the licenses for those sounds (there's a readme.txt located at the sound directory). On my honesty, though, you're just better off not redistributing those sounds since they're just modified vanilla sounds.

By the way, you haven't mentioned what particular sounds you were having issues with. What were the sounds you were having problems with?
sorry for the delay, the sounds I had issues with were the ironsnout death sounds, water splashes, and ammo pickups. I'm not entirely sure if there are any other sounds, as I don't know if there are game mode specific sounds, and I don't use any model other than ironsnout for me or anyone else on the server, and I mainly play instateam.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:07:11 AM by Xaracen »