Sauerworld Forum

Suggestions

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Suggestions
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
First thing I noticed that turns me away is that for some reason the sensitivity is super high, even with the same DPI settings on my mouse and in game sens set at the same level, and the sounds are super low quality. I remember this from when I tested this client before it was released and I don't remember what the problem was, but please fix :).

Some suggestions: I have tried all clients out there and none can take me away from wc-client. I think this is because wc only offers very useful interface stuff, like nick highlights and player countries/flags right on the scoreboard (two of my favorite things about it), and doesn't bother with the gameplay or  cool visual stuff that isn't very useful other than making sauer look cool. It would be awesome to see some things from wc, especially these two things, implemented into comed, then I will definitely call it my client. Another thing which would be awesome to see is some sort of ingame IRC, I believe "Sauer Fanatic Edition" has something like this.

star

• +19/-5
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:37:44 PM »
hey, shame to hear that you are pulled away from comed. Please check the wishlist next time before you post :) almost all things are on there.

The thing that your sensitivity is higher, is caused by the sdl2 libraries which enable you to have direct input. use the variable /sdl2_sensitivity_adjust ( i might have to look this up ) to correct for this effect.

I'm sorry that development has slowed down a bit. I'll get stuff done when it gets done :)
sadly almost nobody is sharing code and if code is shared it's not really the way we'd like to see it.

greenadiss

• +5/-1
  • Mo ho!
    • MdSauer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 06:19:10 AM »
and the sounds are super low quality
You probably forgot to check audio settings, I had the same.
Check /soundfriq and set there 44100, also /soundchans 128

Vanquish

• +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
Sorry but that doesn't fix the issue. I know the problem he's describing and everybody called me crazy for it but the sounds are different, regardless of whether you or anybody else agrees.

Tinkering with your sound settings in game does not fix the problem, your sounds are changed but they're different when using any given sound frequency from client to client.
This is, in fact, one of the reasons why I'm back to just using the vanilla client now, but when I initially reported this bug it was dismissed as nothing, nice to see someone else actually was able to replicate the problem.

Sorry if my post wording is bad, I've had about six hours sleep in total this week. I hope it's at least vaguely legible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:30:25 PM by Vanquish »

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
Vanquish, i never heard from you that the sounds are bad, but you are the 4th person as of now reporting this. I'm working on a fix as we speak, please be patient!

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:17:10 AM »
I tried as greenadiss suggested, and although playing with those variables did give me slightly better sound, I think Vanquish is right that they have to do with the client itself. They sound distorted, like the gain was way too high when they were recorded (idk how this could have been replicated in the client though, as they were already pre-recorded). There's that extra bit of crunch no matter what frequency it's on. That command you suggested for sensitivity does work also, but how do I know what value sets it back to my normal sens? I mean I could play with it until I get as close to what I think it is in vanilla Sauer, but can't there be a way to just disable that feature and keep it as is? Hope these are not too many complaints, other than that the features are very nice :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:19:01 AM by Fatality »

Vanquish

• +1/-1
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »
@Star; It's fine, there's no rush to fix it. I simply remember that when I brought it up initially people were rude and dismissive, saying it was just a placebo effect. I merely wanted the bug to be acknowledged as something legitimate, but after nobody seemed to want to help I just gave up on the idea of this ever getting fixed.
It's been present ever since the original SDoS client, which has probably been around for a year or so now. It's not strictly a Sauerworld fault.

PS: Sorry my last post was a bit "aggressive", or upon re-reading it sounded this way anyway. Wasn't meant like this.

greenadiss

• +5/-1
  • Mo ho!
    • MdSauer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »
I believe it's all about SDL2, that's how it works. It sounds just different.

Acuerta

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Yes, there is a slight difference. (note: slight)
But is that an impairment per se? Or a bug? I don't think so. Nothing got worse imo. Quite the contrary.

Vanquish, you even made two videos to show this effect on your end. From what I remember there were like 5 people who couldn't even tell the difference :P

Anyway, I acknowledge the fact that there is one, but it's ever so slight that I don't see what this fuss is all about.

SDL manages video, audio, input devices, CD-ROM, threads, shared object loading, networking and timers.[5] For 3D graphics it can handle an OpenGL or Direct3D context.

SDL is responsible for a substantial amount of what we as the end users see and feel and with an update as fundamental as the one from SDL 1.2 to 2 it's only natural that there are going to be differences (most likely positive ones after like 3 years of development).

If you're comparing a BMW 3 from 2005 to one from 2014, are you expecting to get the 100% identical car again?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:21:19 AM by Acuerta »

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
i dunno who you talked to vanquish, but i just recall that your complaints were about mouse lag and a different feel. it's the first time i see you complaining about sound here. i dunno who you talked to, but you should have come to me or any other of the dev staff, not just some random strangers who sould acknowledge you.

this holds for everyone:
BUG REPORTS (of all sorts) primarily here: http://sauerworld.org/forum/index.php?board=21.0
or if you are scared for publicity: via irc query @ Star or Cocoa or Chaos

Vanquish

• +1/-1
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
Yes, there is a slight difference. (note: slight)
But is that an impairment per se? Or a bug? I don't think so. Nothing got worse imo. Quite the contrary.
Vanquish, you even made two videos to show this effect on your end. From what I remember there were like 5 people who couldn't even tell the difference :P

If you're comparing a BMW 3 from 2005 to one from 2014, are you expecting to get the 100% identical car again?

It's not about newer = better, didn't you go from a TFT to a CRT monitor yourself and say it was better? Honestly, I like the old sounds just because I'm used to them and the new ones distract me (don't you use sounds from justice instead of collect for this reason too, btw?).
The switch in sounds was incredibly noticeable for me when I had my desktop (it broke about 2-3 months ago btw) and even now on my laptop I can notice the difference, albeit it for some reason is less noticeable on this machine. Could have been because my desktop was using an ASUS Xonar 7.1 soundcard instead of one integrated into the motherboard, but I don't know.

When I posted the videos on irc before, I recall you telling me to live with it and pix telling me he couldn't notice a difference between the two. I never got to hear many other opinions on the videos, so I guess I'll just leave them here.

EDIT: Btw just wanted to clarify, I just loaded the first maps that came to my head. There's nothing special about the sounds on either wdcd or duomo when compared to any other map(s).

i dunno who you talked to vanquish, but i just recall that your complaints were about mouse lag and a different feel. it's the first time i see you complaining about sound here. i dunno who you talked to, but you should have come to me or any other of the dev staff, not just some random strangers who sould acknowledge you.

Well as I said, I reported this a long time ago (the two YT videos above were from January) and at this time there was no sauerworld client that I was aware of, so the only people I contacted were those involved with SDoS. You're completely right when you say that my only queries as to the sauerworld client in its current form were about a weird kind of input lag I was getting, but perhaps there is no lag and I'm just not used to that, as you pointed out - and it's a perfectly valid point. Ideally I would have liked to see an /in_mouse command with parameters like there are in quake, although I've been told the /sdl2_sensitivity command works in a similar way.

Anyway, sorry for complaining. We british people aren't accustomed to doing it very often. :/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:20:22 PM by Vanquish »

pix

• +9/-1
    • A Cube 2: Sauerbraten Knowledge Base by pix
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
To be honest Vanquish, the sounds in the first video sound a lot like my sounds in vanilla and in SDL2 + manual setting to 44.1k frequency. The second video I'd say is SDL2 + 22k frequency (somehow I had that a long time and never noticed until yesterday).

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »
ok i told you 3 times to change the board. enough with the topic high jacking.

closed.