stahlbox - by rabe (2015)

rabe

• +1/-0
stahlbox - by rabe (2015)
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:17:18 PM »

Quote from: stahlbox_readme.txt
stahlbox by rabe (2015)

installation:
- copy the content of the base folder in this zip to the base folder in your user directory
- install the e8-texturepack (http://quadropolis.us/node/2859, version: 22nd May 2015)
- install the eX-texturepack (http://quadropolis.us/node/2792, version: 8th Sept. 2014)

credits:
- evillair for the textures
- all mappers and players, who gave me feedback

- pm rabe at quadropolis.us or sauerworld.net
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:53:33 PM by rabe »

rabe

• +1/-0
Re: stahlbox
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
The 7th update described in the readme is a reaction to Fatality's and Star's review. Thanks once again for the feedback. I'll explain, how I tried to react to the points you made in that review.

If I got you right, the main points were:
1. missing climbing possibility in the center room
2. clipped billboards
3. dead end beneath the yellow armour, missing climbing possibility
4. too little chances to make a comeback in duels due to little amount of weapons
5. too dominant spot next to green armour, from where you easily spot opponent and control map

What I changed:
1. I added a small ledge close to the smaller platform, from where you can jump up fast.
2. That was already fixed in a former update.
3. I added a crate and a 45° ledge. 3 normal jumps and you are on the top level, without being spotted from the outside.
4. I added more ammo (shells, riflerounds, grenades +1) and placed the playerstarts relatively close to those weapons, so you can grab one fast, when respawning. Besides these 13 "normal" spawns there are 2 "unlucky" spawns on the floor in the middle and 2 "lucky" spawns directly "in" the 2 armours.
5. I placed the items in a way, that it is hardly possible now to view all of a kind from one spot (like rockets were before), I moved one of the healthbubbles out of the area. I added another room, in which I placed the corresponding teleport, so you cannot overview both ends of the tele (what made the tele pretty much pointless in the older version). I changed the teledest, so you can get into the back of the player, who is trying to overview the map form that level.

(I also added a little ledge to provide a little more cover for the green armour, forgot to mention the readme.)

Questions and feedback welcome!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:38:25 PM by rabe »

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Re: stahlbox - by rabe (2013-2015)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:56 AM »
Can't believe I downloaded this and never commented. Well there are just two things that still bug me.

1. The new room, when you come out of the teledest, is very dark. It looks like you come out of the teleport facing a wall, and I always go around it when I could just keep walking straight. Please add another light there :)

2. The clip over the map is still too low, you can easily hit your head when you grenade or rocket jump close to it, but I understand raising it would let you see the sky texture on the roof, so maybe it's not so important.

Other than that, this update is great. The map is still amazing and it is almost perfect now :). Gj man

Fleet

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:15:09 AM »
One more texture error that I see....the cfg calls for /packages/textures/yves_allaire/ex/ex512/metalsupp01_d.jpg and the filename in the texturepack is metalSupp01_d.jpg

I don't know why Fatality likes this map so much, I couldn't find a pistol pickup anywhere  :)

rabe

• +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
One more texture error that I see....the cfg calls for /packages/textures/yves_allaire/ex/ex512/metalsupp01_d.jpg and the filename in the texturepack is metalSupp01_d.jpg

I don't know why Fatality likes this map so much, I couldn't find a pistol pickup anywhere  :)

Thanks for discovering the texture fail. Where do you want your pistol? You earned it.

rabe

• +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
Can't believe I downloaded this and never commented. Well there are just two things that still bug me.

1. The new room, when you come out of the teledest, is very dark. It looks like you come out of the teleport facing a wall, and I always go around it when I could just keep walking straight. Please add another light there :)

2. The clip over the map is still too low, you can easily hit your head when you grenade or rocket jump close to it, but I understand raising it would let you see the sky texture on the roof, so maybe it's not so important.

Other than that, this update is great. The map is still amazing and it is almost perfect now :). Gj man

Hi!

Yes, redon also pointed out that dark spot. I am currently rethinking the item placement. Frosty suggested MH iirc, what kinda convinced me.

Altering the clip would force me to texture and detail the whole roof, not such a good idea from my point of view /: ...

Anyways, thanks again for the input, hope to see you ingame sometime soon.

Greetings
rabe

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »

Thanks for discovering the texture fail. Where do you want your pistol? You earned it.

LOL :D

rabe

• +1/-0
Re: stahlbox - by rabe (2015)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
Finished! Check the updated file @ first post.

joemaro

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
Love the map <3
Great Work!

i have 3 very minor texture errors to report, all of which have different lower/uppercase names in the eX Texturepack:
map calls:file is called:
metalBase05rust_h.jpgmetalbase05rust_h.jpg
metalsupp01_d.jpgmetalSupp01_d.jpg
metalsupp01_local.jpgmetalSupp01_local.jpg

hope thats helps!

any plans for wdm6? :P

regards

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 06:48:10 AM »
Love the map <3
Great Work!

i have 3 very minor texture errors to report, all of which have different lower/uppercase names in the eX Texturepack:

hope thats helps!

regards

Seen but not confirmed yet.
I'll check the original pack soon.

rabe

• +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
Love the map <3
Great Work!

Thx!

hope thats helps!

I just installed the map (as described in the readme) over a plain installation of sauerbraten. Everything worked fine.
Make sure, you got the versions of the packs, I posted in the readme. The packs have been updated once to include high and low resolution. Maybe you had some older packs (or .cfg-file) laying around.

regards

No plans, though it's one of my favourite maps. But it is still in the current warsow-release and copyrighted, right? Acid took the former wdm2 (unbalanced) out of warsow and left the dev-team, so it became a custom map. (I got permission from him to rebuild it for cube2.)

Greetings
rabe
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:19:43 PM by rabe »