Sauerworld Forum

What is ComEd, and what is it not?

pix

• +9/-1
    • A Cube 2: Sauerbraten Knowledge Base by pix
What is ComEd, and what is it not?
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
I came across this:

again: as i explained in irc, comed just enables features for your own customisation.

IT DOES NOT FORCE YOU TO USE A CERTAIN SET OF SETTINGS.

therefore we don't include flags, models, hudguns, scripts, etc. you can, however, download them here in the mods section and craft your own set, that fits your needs. every gamer is different, but the game is the same.

and now I'm left wondering why my UI mod was included to be honest. Not that I don't think it should be included (I obviously think it's a lot better than default :D), but when you change UI and included it in ComEd you still kind of "enforce" it.

Is ComEd's goal to be just another drop-in client replacement? If so, why does it change the UI? Maybe people want to use their own UI and only the ComEd binary?

Why not include one set of game media each, like, one set of better flags, one set of better playermodel skins, and so on. When people do not want to use something, they can just replace what we give them with their own stuff again. And people that don't know about this kind of modification still benefit from it.

Maybe split ComEd into a binary and a "media package" and let people download them seperately, or maybe even download all the individual media stuff separately. There would need to be put a bit of thought into how to split media.
Ideally we could have a download page that lets you say "this, this, not that, but this, too", and it then builds you a .zip on-the-fly that contains exactly what you want.

Quality

• +0/-0
  • Guitarthusiest :P
Re: What is ComEd, and what is it not?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Or they can give the user the option what set of icons/models etc he wants to use: The normal Sauerbraten or "recommended" ComEd stuff. This shouldn't be too hard I guess..

pix

• +9/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
Or they can give the user the option what set of icons/models etc he wants to use: The normal Sauerbraten or "recommended" ComEd stuff. This shouldn't be too hard I guess..

That's basically the "ideal solution" I described. I just put the choice in front of the download. Both is fine I guess.

But let's not get distracted from my actual question, please ;).

Quality

• +0/-0
  • Guitarthusiest :P
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
Yeah, for me it seems like the only advantage ComEd has over the other clients is sdl2.. Which doesn't change the gameplay much, in my opinion. If their goal really is to enable features, then they have a lot to do as supersauer and fanatic edition (which is updated daily with new features) are way ahead for now. As long as there are other, featurewise probably better clients (I find) ComEd is just another client, only that it is "for the community".

pix

• +9/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »
The point of ComEd is not to change gameplay (also, be careful with you choice of words: gameplay includes things like world physics, movement, weapon attributes, and much more).

The point of ComEd is to be a client for the community by the community. The goal is to be better than other mods by having more than 1 person working on it / contributing.

And as I said, can we please keep on topic? Please only post if what you post is relevant to the topic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:17:47 PM by pix »

star

• +19/-5
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
Should be answerd here:
http://comed.sauerworld.org/about/