Sauerworld Forum

Grading Format?

KI113R

• +2/-0
    • mX Clan
Grading Format?
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
I Do not remember seeing a sort of "grading format"? I know the judging will be poll based, but are there penalties for anything else other than late entrance? Like for example; What if I cut the size of the map in half to make up for lost time? The map would still technically be complete, but not exactly whole.

How are poll takers to know what they are looking for? Are we basing this more on looks, functionality or more on how close it is to the original? How should I vote? I can honestly say that without any sort of guideline I will be voting based on which map I can play and KNOW I am in Sauerbraten but get a "feel" for the other games and how the original "worked" for the other games but I don't want it to be exactly the same. That's just me.

Also, I do not have the time or resources to download and play the original of ANY of these maps. A few I have seen before but remember nothing about. So... How does that work? Is anyone else really going to play all of these other maps? Can I really feel like I am being judged fairly by someone if they have never played Tremulous before? The only way I think it would feel fair to me is if there is just a general consensus of what we are going for here?

I told you what I would vote based on: "I will be voting based on which map I can play and KNOW I am in Sauerbraten but get a "feel" for the other games and how the original "worked" for the other games but I don't want it to be exactly the same." And remember that I will have very little to no recollection of the original that your map is based off of. Just being honest here. Maybe also ranting... Who knows?

Thoughts? Feelings?

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Re: Grading Format?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:19 PM »
Good point, glad you brought it up.

I think there are going to be multiple polls for different categories, like one for the best flow/playablility, one for looks, etc. I also thought already that a poll system might not be a great idea since they are so easily manipulated, so maybe a verbal vote would be necessary, like commenting "I vote this map for this category". For now I think the best option is to just map with everything in mind, like good looks, good flow, pretty close to the original yet still unique, etc.

I expect that Suicizer will address this much better.

Edit: I also hope that Sui, since he is technically the one in charge of this, will be a judge of your map being close enough to the original to actually call it a remake. I think that ideally everyone should be familiar with everyone else's original maps so that we can all cast a fair comparison vote, but I understand this is a lot of work for everyone. Maybe someone can make a video or some sort of visualization including every map so everyone can get an idea of the map without downloading it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:38:03 PM by Fatality »

frosty

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Yeah Killer, forget about all the categories and criteria and just make the best possible map that you can  8)

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 12:21:26 AM »
Voting Period

There are several requirements for participating the voting period:
- You should have signed up for participation of this event.
- You should have an own thread which displays your participation.
- You and your cooperative team-mate are both agreeing with the same rate which you give to a certain thread (only 1 vote counts per team).

There are several requirements for the actual voting:
- Each thread is being rated individually (not just 1 which is best and the rest of the participations don't matter).
- Each thread receives a different rating than other thread which you've rated (you can't rate 2 threads with the same number, like giving them both an 8 for example).
If you've been disqualified during the challenge, your vote isn't legit anymore.

You should vote the map like it plays for Sauerbraten. You could have even remake a level of tetris as long as it looks respectably good and plays well.

The results will be published on an individual page which displays the top 3 nodes with of course, a special place for the winner.

During Voting Period

When the challenge has ended and you've uploaded your map on your thread you are free to do the next couple of things (which are related to this challenge):
- Vote on other participating maps (duh).
- Provide feedback on other participating threads.
- Improve your map from feedback of other mappers which comment on your thread.

Keep in mind that editing during this period shouldn't be seen as extra time to finish up your map as people should be able to download and rate your map at the very first week of the voting period.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:56:56 PM by Suicizer »