Sauerworld Forum

BKLYN

pix

• +9/-1
    • A Cube 2: Sauerbraten Knowledge Base by pix
BKLYN
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
So I finally reached a state where I feel comfortable with showing my map here: this is BKLYN (short for Brooklyn, the NYC district). It's a centrally symmetrical ctf map.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/avcbt
(I forgot to load in ctf, so I made little markings where the flag is.)

This isn't completely finished yet, but ready for testing in at least ictf and ectf as the layout is considered finished. Pickups are probably very bad, but feel free to try ctf and suggest improvement for the ammo and armour placement.

Update 2015-03-18:

• moved obj.cfg for non-colliding tree into nieb's folder
  • fixed upper window above furnace-thingie
  • fixed jumppads (what Sui mentioned and that you couldn't pick up flags on jumppads sometimes)
  • moved YA
  • cleaned up the outside, used skytexture for outer surfaces
  • remake opposing building facades in the middle

Thanks to Suicizer for his technical advice! I updated the screenshots album as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:01:04 PM by pix »

frosty

Re: BKLYN
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
not bad, but i think you can be a little more creative with the geometry and detailing. i mean the only details i see are windows everywhere, and besides the one middle part everything is very square... also that tree is kinda odd  :P

Mayonaise

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
Well pix, I think that your map looks pretty fucking awesome :D

Good job mate  ;)

bandandit

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »
I really enjoyed playing this with you a couple weeks ago. I thought it worked pretty well for ctf, but I can see it working even better for capture. Keep it up :)

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
Nice to see this map being released on Sauerworld.

There's still some trouble in the packaging; be sure stuff like "packages" and "readme" have an extension (like .txt), else it makes it harder to open so.

Good to see you've figured out how to put off the collision of the tree; but please keep it in the "nieb" folder instead. This prevents people start creating their own folders for any model they think that should be tweaked a tiny bit, which leads to several folders throughout the "mapmodels" folder. So rather just put it into "nieb" and work from there (as it's his model any way).

There is still enough trash outside the map to clean up (like a death barrier on the floor?) and some edit-errors throughout the map (like at the highest window at the chimney of each base or like there's a jumppad-entity below other jumppad entities at each base).

Bots can't get the YA currently (what's with the odd placement of YA on new maps these days?); neither playes (without the use of trickjumps).
Both YA have also the issue of being easily controlled when they both aren't taken yet as you can trickjump with a grenade and some bullets towards the other YA while you've taken the first already.
Why are all armours right in the middle of the map actually? Is there no space to defend the base at all?

As already mentioned before; the map looks great so far, but misses details.
So what about making certain parts broken or rather in construction? This adds a way more realistic feeling to the map.
The concept of having lifts everywhere to elevate you to higher ground feels pretty spammed around. What about to come up with something else also?

Another point which seems forgotten;
The time to get to your opponent's flag and head back to your own flag is currently very small (about 12 seconds in ctf and 14 seconds in instactf), so what about to extend that to some higher value (like 16 seconds in ctf and 20 in instactf)?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:17:54 PM by Suicizer »

pix

• +9/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
New Version: http://imgur.com/a/avcbt

See top post for changelog.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:03:23 PM by pix »

pix

• +9/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »
Sooo after Frosty hit me up and made me finish this (kinda), here is an update to the map! Some small changes to geometry but the layout is the same. Added playerstarts and bases, adjusted lighting, clipping, aaaand that's it. Have fun!

(Also thank Frosty for zipping it all up with waypoints etc.)