Sauerworld Forum

Sauerbraten Appreciation Thread 2018

Ardelico

• +15/-0
  • imasheep
Sauerbraten Appreciation Thread 2018
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:40:57 AM »
These are some questions for ya to answer about your favorite game, Sauerbraten!

Q: What do you love the most about Sauer?
Q: What keeps you playing Sauer?
Q: How did you discover Sauer?
Q: What is your favorite gamemode(s)? Why?
Q: What are your 3 favorite maps? Why?
Q: What was the first thing you did in Sauer, if you can remember?
Q: What is something about Sauer you will remember your entire life?
Q: If you could change just a single thing in Sauer, what would it be?

I'll start

A: It's a place where I can create things and have a good time, whether it's maps or stupid scripts, everything is fun to me.

A: I take breaks sometimes, but when I get into a Sauer mood again, I always end up doing something I've never done before, or take interest in something that wasn't interesting in the past.  Sometimes I just love a good old fashioned game of Regen Capture, even if only Bots are available to play.

A: 6 or 7 yr ago, what I can remember is getting bored of Unreal Tournament '99 GOTY, and started looking around for a free game, I found Sauer, at first I was thinking 'what kind of game is this lol', but in a good way, I played it more and it stuck with me.

A: Regen Capture, Regular CTF, and my own custom modes.  I like regen because back when Ogros.org 2 had lots of players, that was my go to server, loved running into an enemy base packed with afkers and just 'nading the hell out of them.  Regular CTF because it's like FFA with a goal other than killing.

A: nevil_c, it's always been one of my favorite maps for regencapture, really nice map to me.  Forge, I always thought it was a cool map, fun for CTF. And finally, Akroseum, when PSL.sauerleague.org was still up and booming, that was a fun map to jack the flag then get shot up really high from the jpad and snipe someone when still in air.

A: as far back as I remember, I played some insta on map wdcd, but then I pressed 'e' key and thought holy shit im flyin, then I messed around a bit with the editor, I build this huge tower in the middle of the map and started camping and sniping the bots, lol, at that time I didn't know what calclight was so I lived with borken lights, and i was thinking haha st00pit bots can't be up in my tower, mah towah byetch

A: All the things I made, maps, scripts, all those hours spent on ogros.org 2. Meeting other people that get a good kick out of Sauer like I do

A: to be fully honest, get rid of race and zombie mode and bring back regencapture.  Regen was the shit, I like playing bots, but it won't ever be like Ogros.org 2.

Timakrov_Gunn

• +2/-0
  • A living gun
Re: Sauerbraten Appreciation Thread 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
Hell, why not?

A: Simplicity. Easy to join, easy to edit, easy to shoot.

A: Addiction.

A: I was looking for a game for a not-so-capable laptop to play on Ubuntu. Just happen to find this charm on the Ubuntu Software Center, but noticed it was an old version. Got the newer one, got in the multiplayer servers, found out that you could mod Sauer as well... and then the addiction began.  ::)

A: The three ctf-based gamemodes (normal, effic, insta). I like the CTF-based gamemodes because you got more goals than just killing, like chasing down the flag runner that doesn't bother shooting back, or mutilate a flag camper with a chainsaw. That, and I don't have to sit on my ass all the time like I would be tempted to for regen capture.

A: akroseum, flagstone, and mbt1. akroseum and flagstone because it's not that entirely hard to move around the map, despite the size of the map, and what's not to like about shooting someone just as they use a jumppad? As for mbt1, it just feels like a simple, decent balanced map.

A: Hard to recall, but I randomly picked a map (campo, I think) and played around with the game mechanics, so I get the sense of how things work before I blindly joined the multiplayer mayhem.

A: The community for this game which is... unique, to put it. There's always something to happen, even if I just stook to simply fragging, and hell, there's always something to get a good kick out of with friends.

A: Definitely something about how Insta-CTF is most likely being the top preference in the multiplayer community and maybe even get rid of the zombie modes, but that's just IMAO. Now, I don't mind Insta-CTF, but there are other gamemodes out there.

Doko

• +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »
Here are my answers!  8)

A: You can troll your friends in so many ways in coopedit that it never gets boring. One of the best was the nocliped penis with jumppad and teleports that rapes you constantly while you are afk.

A: Sauerbraten still feels like my home.

A: I remember i was searching for "games like doom" in google and found cube 1. I played the insta modes for a long time and left it. Then some years later between 2007 and 2008 i found Sauerbraten and got in love with the game. 

A: Coopedit of course, but i like effic ctf too and capture.

A: 1.- Reissen, it's like the perfect map to me. Detailed, excelent layout, pretty simple and with a lot of trick possibilities.
2.- Tempest was like the first map i saw that looked like a professional map for the quality of the backgrounds and details.
3.- ot, the only map i learned to play for duels  :-[

A: Mapping offline, mapfucking, trolling, noob stufs,Why?, because it was so fucking funny lol.

A: Playing with all my friends, being people living so far, in different countries but at the same time so connected.
My stage in 2008-2009 and the last ones in 2015-2016 were the best, with a lot of mapping and clan activities.

A: The most important concept and the one who shines in sauer is the mapping tool wich is extremely unique. Changing the purpose of the game to something more free would be amazing, like gary's mod, but much better.

Salatiel

• +25/-1
    • Projects by Salatiel
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »
 Race ServerMods

Race Servers

Looking for games that have races system
 Looking for linux games.

Race, It gives you the freedom to create maps and publish them for other players to play quickly, without requiring an external download (or waiting for a new release).

Podium-Factory-02, BrazilRace-07 and TheFile. are maps that I did / participated in the edition, and that have a good theme and/or gameplay.

First server I entered was the Racing League.

I editing my first map (a race) without knowing allfaces 1 and adding the textures one by one on each face...

Nothing, I think all servermods are welcome. When we talk about Servermods (race, zombie, rugby) we must think of "generic" players (those who are in the game to play only, not to create scripts or maps), they are the ones that keep the game alive, if there were no modified servers, Sauer would be quickly forgotten (after some repetitive modes matches) by these players, since they do not create content to keep themselves excited about the game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:48:25 AM by Salatiel »
@Salatiel#5274

rabe

• +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
Being inactive for months or even years, coming back again and still meeting the same people around.

Edit Mode. Meeting random people on servers and then /getmap.

Searching for free "first person shooters".

Editing and FFA. Because me joining a team in CTF makes the team lose. Insta and Race is not my thing.

Q: What are your 3 favorite maps?
metl4
metl3
pitch_black

I built a pool on that server, where the daytime/weather kept changing. (Doko server?)

Discovering how to copy and paste.

The death and pain sounds (UUUUHHHH, UUHH, OOOOOHHHH, AAAHH, UUUUHHHH ...). Really annoying.