Sauerworld Forum

Croma

savanha

• +3/-5
Croma
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
Oe ! Here it is ! Another map which aims to get into the map-pool for clan wars .

This isn't quadropolis so I'm not expecting troubles for the lack of details :S but pls don't hold your critics !
Its geometry is simple with only some trimming as details but I've focused a lot on the layout , looking at Forge as reference .
Many thanks to Luffy and Pix for the support and to all who will test it with/without me and give feedback.

Download it here : https://mega.co.nz/#!vRoSmQLL!lNfzRERN1bNpFrhn_p_YdnHoqlQpPBzGoRLJ0ayHUQo

regards ,

2+2=3 / savanha

UPD: links to download the map don't work anymore. I hope I attached the latest version of the map. The archive also contains "croma6.ogz", not sure about this version, feel free to check it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:13:12 PM by greenadiss »

frosty

Re: Croma
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »
not a bad effort, but i find that the map is still incomplete, i find some parts inconsistent with stairs or ramps, and a lot of edges are missing trim. also i find that the floors and the wall look very much the same color making it very dull and boring. also if your going to name it croma you might want to make the textures chromatic  :P. of course i cant test it gameplay wise because its a new map, but im not a fan of the jumppad, it makes it too easy to simply charge down the middle of the map in a straight line, people wont use the outer paths at all because they are harder to access, never mind slower... again not bad but i think there is a lot that needs to be changed before it can be considered if you wish to have it included in a map pool or even in the release (if there is one)

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
I did some changes , and updated the link , here some screenshots

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »
Changing the red and blue to the orange/yellow was a good choice, it looks awesome. There are still just some small flow issues, but that's just me being a perfectionist. The lighting also could be a lot better, but I already told you this ;). I would be more than happy to help with that, or even do it for you. Nice map! :P

Edit: Why not try some fog to enhance the atmosphere a bit? I just added a simple /fog 1000 and /fogcolour 100 100 100, and it already looked nicer, but you could play around with the color and w/e.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:13:10 AM by Fatality »

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
Pix realized a short presentation movie check it out !

Amazing job Mate , many thanks from the deep of my heart !

Also thanks to those who played it ! Really appreciated !

Joran

• +0/-0
    • |-sp4nk-|
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
Great map!  8)  Even better with the orange colors.

Fear

• +3/-2
  • Don't worry...it's only smellz!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
I played it yesterday and it was fun. I especially like the colors of the map.
I already told you which things you can improve ;)
Anyway for Efficctf this map can become really popular, but i doubt it can become that popular for Instactf.  :)
Alltogether awesome work! Keep working on it! ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:30:57 AM by Fear »

Doko

• +4/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 03:33:39 AM »
The layout is not bad, but part of the layout have to be intended to an aesthetic aspect, the layout doesnt have to be just playable, it also has to be sightly. Forge for example is an ugly map for my taste, very playable, but aesthetically is okay, the textures are a bit spamed, but the layout is consistent, the space used in every part of the map is calculated, is something wich i dont find in this map, where there are some small parts, and other big. The hole in the middle does not work for any purpose, nobody is going to go there, there is nothing really important, or strategic in that hole, the only thing you can do is to change to the other side of the map, that is completly unnecesary, considering that you will run more distance that you want, also, i played in this map some days ago, and i didnt liked that hole; it was annoying when i was going to the middle.
The boxes are the resource when a mapper dont have any ideas, there are other things that you can make instead of boxes, like terrain, or just more layout, the boxes in the bases can be replaced for some layout, some proper ladders, adjusting them with the entrance that is near of it.
in general the gameplay of this map is very nice, but not for insta CTF, the corridors are a bit long and also some parts are open, it is a very good map for effic CTF, it gives the enough space for combat and for recovering the flag, but in the appearance  it lacks of details, and has very few textures.
The map is playable, but not nice in the appearance.

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback but as I've stated before and also written in the readme I'm not interested in adding more details so please don't suggest that . The appearence is subjective and I like it as it is, furthermore I'm not even that good as editor to bother my self trying to sadisfie other's addiction to details . None smart enough , play this game for the graphic , conversely many players even  use texreduce , this map is meant for them . I already did what i could with my low editing skills . Remember that this map is born from the exigence of having a larger number of maps for mixed games and clan wars to chose from which means less worries for the appearence and more for the layout .
About the middle please consider that the map can be played on every modes not only ictf / ectf .
And I please someone to explain me how a  map can be good for ectf but not for ictf ? In my experience I thought it was the opposite ( e.g. : face-capture , capture_night ) .

The next things im going to change are the lightning ( thanks for the offer fatality :) ) and some playerstarts .

Doko

• +4/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 05:54:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback but as I've stated before and also written in the readme I'm not interested in adding more details so please don't suggest that . The appearence is subjective and I like it as it is, furthermore I'm not even that good as editor to bother my self trying to sadisfie other's addiction to details . None smart enough , play this game for the graphic , conversely many players even  use texreduce , this map is meant for them . I already did what i could with my low editing skills . Remember that this map is born from the exigence of having a larger number of maps for mixed games and clan wars to chose from which means less worries for the appearence and more for the layout .
About the middle please consider that the map can be played on every modes not only ictf / ectf .
And I please someone to explain me how a  map can be good for ectf but not for ictf ? In my experience I thought it was the opposite ( e.g. : face-capture , capture_night ) .

The next things im going to change are the lightning ( thanks for the offer fatality :) ) and some playerstarts .

There is not impediment to play this map in instactf, but the gameplay would be harder, you die in one shot, and you have to get the flag and escape with it like an easy target through corridors and open spaces, thats why i said its not for insta ctf. But obiously you can play all the maps in instactf, but the gameplay would be annoying if you play in face-capture, for example.
The hole in the middle is just an opinion, i find it unnecessary and annoying, maybe someone find it very useful, i just played it two times and i cant ensure that im right.
And finally i have to say that i just mentioned the details, you dont need to convert the map to something beautiful, like tempest or alloy, but you have to balance the two aspects, forge for example is not detailed, its just have flat textures, no details to make it more deep, just in some part, where is necessary, there is deep, in some walls, or on the floor, the textures do all the details work. You can just get someone experienced to add small details and textures to your map, in quadropolis there are some, but of course, if youre interested.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:56:55 PM by Doko »

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
Seems like a fresh and clean map to me.

Interesting that the lightprecision and lightlod is even specified in it's cfg-file (as that's only necessary just before calclighting). I'll consider it as being ambitious.

The lighting seems properly done; there's just enough contrast. Of course the moon within the skybox could have been used a bit more as a lightsource to make it more realistic; but who cares? It's a fast paced map anyway.

The flow seems good, although there could have been spend more time in the clipping (as like for certain trimmings like near the teleport on each base, etc) but it works...

Personally; I like to see some more details even in such themed map (as that's quite possible also). But I understand you're not a fan of that, so great map! Would like to see some more of your work soon!

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
I kept working on it and I came out with the decision of reducing the spaces where the map was too open . I did also some changes to the gameplay , all meant to balance the speed of the  routes . Fixed spawns , lightning and added 2 more colours for those who lost them-selves.
As major change i cut off a section which took too much time and solved the problem with a teleport , I think you'll find it extremely usefull and very tactical .

Here is the download :

https://mega.co.nz/#!vRoSmQLL!lNfzRERN1bNpFrhn_p_YdnHoqlQpPBzGoRLJ0ayHUQo
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:10:35 PM by savanha »

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
I'm uploading a new version of croma (croma.V1), hopefully the definitive one , unless some issues concerning gameplay will be reported .
The changes done are mainly about the appearance , but I also removed a couple of spawns , oh and I fixed the teleports they all keep the momentum now .
Well I think it's all , again thanks to everyone who played the test versions with me . As always , have fun .

Link for the download right here below .
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:27:56 PM by savanha »

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
Some small input towards the teleports; make them recognisable. You the in- and outcome of a teleport is currently identical while you can only use the teleport from 1 side.
It is also quite odd that you spawn just in front a teleport when taking the teleport at the right side of the base. But when taking that teleport which you've spawn nearby; you appear close to the base. Feels pretty awkward.

One of the teleports of the red base has no lights.

The clipping could still be improved.

Bots can't take the YA (although the map is still lacking waypoints; they would never be able to get it in the first place).

There's some dead end (with no proper reason?) near base 3 and 4.

The flow of the map feels "just not right". I often see situations which look like you would make it with a simple jump; but you actually don't (like jumping from base 3 or 4 towards that higher platform). There are quite some more of such examples, so perhaps you should really consider to run around with people who don't  know the map quite yet.

Next to that; I really like the atmosphere and the theme of the map. Good job!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:37:01 PM by Suicizer »

savanha

• +3/-5
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
Some small input towards the teleports; make them recognisable. You the in- and outcome of a teleport is currently identical while you can only use the teleport from 1 side.
I always read this comment …
Shall I use the usual over-used rotating map model ? Shall I write above all the teleports “TELEPORT HERE“ ? After one quick run around the map you'll find them all and understand how they work .

One of the teleports of the red base has no lights.

? not sure what you mean with that , I've seeked for the missing ent but couldn't spot any difference between red and blue side , I even tried /clearents lights but the number was even (124) .

It is also quite odd that you spawn just in front a teleport when taking the teleport at the right side of the base. But when taking that teleport which you've spawn nearby; you appear close to the base. Feels pretty awkward.

That's the opposite , feels pretty useful : you spawn outside the base , but if it needs to be cleared from enemies you can just take the teleport close to you and defend it .

The clipping could still be improved.

Any more precise examples ?

Bots can't take the YA (although the map is still lacking waypoints; they would never be able to get it in the first place).

Playing wiht bots it's super-lame for many obvious reasons ( reatard and predictable movements combined wiht insane aim and wallhack). That's why I didn't add the .wpt file and I'm not going to ( sry guys with bad connection , play other games , sauer is worth it to be played multiplayer online only). Please smart comments only , I'm not gonna move the YA so that stupid bots can take it..

There's some dead end (with no proper reason?) near base 3 and 4.

That's not a dead end , aside from the fact that you can see very well the wall from a long distance ( if you run into it it's your fault , walls are usually made of concrete don't run into them you might hurt your-self !) that wall is there for a reason , it provides cover for the base in capture modes also it offers a direct and safe sight on the small short corridor on the other side so that you have the chance to shoot the flagholder despite being some steps behind when chasing him ( I took the idea from reissen's camping spot , the one right above the small tunnel toward the jumppad below the base).

The flow of the map feels "just not right". I often see situations which look like you would make it with a simple jump; but you actually don't (like jumping from base 3 or 4 towards that higher platform). There are quite some more of such examples, so perhaps you should really consider to run around with people who don't  know the map quite yet.
That jump is actually possible without weapons of course .. so another lie ( it's pretty frustrating to ear these bullshits , especially from someone who consider him-self a pro player/editor) ,  despite that it's a pretty non-sense jump anyway. And where else are examples of bad flow ? Just there ? Does just one hard yet useless jump make it a map with “Just not right”  flow ?

Next to that; I really like the atmosphere and the theme of the map. Good job!
Many thanks .