Sauerworld Forum

Learning FFA duel

Rastavi

• +2/-0
  • Don't hate, masturbate.
Learning FFA duel
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
Whatsup Sauermates,

Recently I returned to Sauer after 2 years of inactivity, and I love being back. However, I'm slowly getting sick and tired of instagib. Effic is cool, but I would love to go one step further and play FFA duels on a regular basis. It's so fricking cool. Been watching a lot of Quake Live tournaments lately; if you've seen those you know what I'm talking about :)

I'm quite good at effic, not a beginner atleast. I suck at FFA though, so I need to practice. But who do I practice with? Anyone on a public server I ask for a 1v1 wants insta turbine. For fuck's sake.

Now I'm pretty sure there's quite some advanced players who are interested in FFA, so if you are: drop a reply to this post. Then I know I'm not alone and we can plan some epic FFA-practice!

Rastavi

swatllama

• +9/-4
Re: Learning FFA duel
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:52:58 AM »
I don't really play these days, but if we can find a time that works, I'd be down. What time zone are you in?

notas

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
is rastavi your name in game?

shoot me a msg sometime, we'll see where you're at

watching quake live tournaments was my bread and butter when the game was more alive, 2nd only to actually playing quake live :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:01:05 AM by notas »

Rastavi

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
@swatllama: Nice! I live in Europe, so CET. Don't have any school activities this week, so if you suggest a few possible times you can play, I will likely be able to play too.

j@notas: Yeah Rastavi is my ingame name. Will do!

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
4PM CET Wednesday or Friday, should be able to get 40-50 minutes in. Just come onto IRC @ #theBlueMonkeyCult and we can set up a server from there.

Rastavi

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
Great! It will be Wednesday then.

Acuerta

• +7/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »
You can also use the Discord button (that blue monster thing) on sauerworld.org to get in touch with people who like to play ffa.

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
Uhm, sur, I think they already posted here.

Obstriegel

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »
You should hurry up with learning FFA... attend llamas crash course as we will probably try to host FFA + ECTF on Sunday (5th of February, 5PM CET, isl1.impressivesquad.eu)!

See you! :D

Rastavi

• +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
Aaah sucks I can never play on sundays. But I guess there'll be other FFA tournaments in the future.

Also: from the FFA duels I've played so far, I've gotten the very important advice to time the armours. And that really helps. So what is the next thing I should start to take into consideration?

Terminator

• +1/-1
  • T-no FTW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
When I played against you I noticed you  made some basic mistakes:

- You didn't time at all (but I told you that comed is perfect for that as it has a hud clock).

- You literally let me get 5 HBs without trying to damage me.

- When running away you weren't looking back nor were you trying to shoot with pistol.

Notas made a fantastic FFA guide which is somewhere in the sauerworld page, I thoroughly recommend you to take a look at that, as it really helped me out to improve. Also, make sure to get better in effic, there's no point in trying to improve in ffa if you don't know how to play effic at all.

But that's just my opinion, you can always ask players Who are more knowledgeable than me like swat or notas. Hope this can be of help!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:05:06 PM by Terminator »

h8

• +6/-2
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
notas guide: http://www.sauerworld.org/ffa-guide-by-notas/

ffa rape with some info about timing: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118945284

subtract 30 secs for YA
20 secs for GA
60 secs for HB
70 secs for Quad
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:54:13 AM by h8 »
annoyin noob #477462

notas

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 06:21:58 PM »
Okay, that's not a 'video about timing,' that was my sarcastic response to h8 complaining that timing was too hard or I was using hacks. It may still be educational though  ;)

edit: also, it looks like terminator gave you some solid advice, everything he said is right on
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:24:23 PM by notas »

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 05:25:31 AM »
Sauer tournaments are pretty much always on sundays.
I hope we can meet sometime. As we haven't though, I don't know how you play, nor your attitude towards playing, but ffa more than other modes requires an eagerness to lose, and this turns away most people. You have to experiment with decision making and unless you're playing in a super highstakes game!!!11!, always try something risky just to see for yourself if it works.

Rastavi

• +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. The FFA guide is really usefal and the video is fun to watch too. 'rape' describes it quite accurately.
Will someone livestream tomorrows FFA tournament by the way? Cause I do think I will be able to watch.