Sauerworld Forum

Mapping Video

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
Mapping Video
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »
I decided, since I find myself explaining this thing to new mappers all the time, that I'd make a nice little video. It explains an issue that most mappers don't understand or even know, and hopefully will help them out. Hope you enjoy

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:40:14 PM by Fatality »

Suicizer

• +6/-5
Re: Mapping Video
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
Nice vid, but try to minimize the modifications of your Sauerbraten version towards the regular one. The best is to use a default version so there won't happen off-topic questions like about the hudguns or even the default texture appearing within the vid.

I'll make a proper guide about the basics of mapping a gameplay oriented map soon if there would be a proper section for it on Sauerworld.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:33:04 PM by Suicizer »

Cocoa

• +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
There will be a section as soon as there is content to fill it. Expanding the "Tips/Tricks" section has been planned for a while, but couldn't be realized yet due to a lack of contributions.

swatllama

• +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Awesome job on the video, Fatality. You showed a lot of things that those dead noob mapping clans from eons ago never showed me.

Would be great for the Tips & Tricks section.

bandandit

• +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »
Great video tutorial Fatality! For someone who knows as little about mapping as I do, I learned a lot of essential information from this. I would absolutely love to see great mappers, like you and Suicizer, do a whole series of these videos, especially starting with the basics to help people who have an interest in mapping but don't know where to start. Great job!

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:49:13 AM »
Nice vid, but try to minimize the modifications of your Sauerbraten version towards the regular one. The best is to use a default version so there won't happen off-topic questions like about the hudguns or even the default texture appearing within the vid.

I'll make a proper guide about the basics of mapping a gameplay oriented map soon if there would be a proper section for it on Sauerworld.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind if I ever make another one. And you should definitely make some other videos, all the ones I've ever found are outdated or just basic, it'd be nice to have some advanced stuff that maybe we could even post here on Sauerworld

pix

• +9/-1
    • A Cube 2: Sauerbraten Knowledge Base by pix
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:07:17 AM »
Nice video, I only have 2 issues with it:

1) It doesn't really matter what grid size you use to build geometry; the imortant thing is to make sure it fits nicely within the largest grid size possible for that piece of geometry. If you use tiny cubes to fill up a cube of a larger grid, remipping will fix this for you (yes I just made this video for you guys):
Of course it is easier to fit geometry inside a larger grid if you simply use that larger grid to build it in the first place, so what you say holds true in the end.
Keeping things aligned with as many grid sizes as possible is desirable for the reason of easier copy-and-paste as well (as many as possible = from the smallest to as big as possible).

2) "wtr" is the number of triangles that have to be rendered, not the amount of cubes in the map. With the outline view turned on you can see those triangles layed over a cube's surfaces.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:09:56 AM by pix »

rabe

• +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
There will be a section as soon as there is content to fill it. Expanding the "Tips/Tricks" section has been planned for a while, but couldn't be realized yet due to a lack of contributions.

I'd be willing to contribute something, too. E.g. I could imagine turning my basic lighting guide into a video. Or to make a commented and up to date version of my mapping guide linklist. Or ... or ...

It just would be nice to have a basic structure, plan, organisation. Would be pointless, if we would have three or four lighting-guides, because no one knew, what the others were doing.

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:06 AM »

I'd be willing to contribute something, too. E.g. I could imagine turning my basic lighting guide into a video. Or to make a commented and up to date version of my mapping guide linklist. Or ... or ...

It just would be nice to have a basic structure, plan, organisation. Would be pointless, if we would have three or four lighting-guides, because no one knew, what the others were doing.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but I'm already busy with making a guide for the basics and the advanced techniques of mapping (on Sauerworld actually).

http://sauerworld.org/forum/index.php?topic=198.0
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:16:19 AM by Suicizer »

Fatality

• +10/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:03:23 AM »