Sauerworld Forum

Flying Сity cockroach race-05 + video

TristamK

• +3/-0
    • Cube 2 Engine News Group
Flying Сity cockroach race-05 + video
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

First race map here, huh ?)

This map I began doing in October 2013 and finished it in November. Plus iam maked some updates in May 2014, Total time of creating i think will be 20-25 hours,
Map is small, but have some difficult places where you can stuck. Also here very interesting mix of different design patterns.

YouTube ->

Happy New Year to all ^_^

EDIT1

This map using
CC-BY-SA v4.0 lisence.

Changelog

03 05 2016
flying_city-cockroach_race-05 - add 3 shortscats. Scaled light radius from 200 to 250 in tower part. Fixed texture error and typo in Maptitle
04 05 2016
simple-run-29-flying_city - renamed from flying_city-cockroach_race-05

Link ->
http://www.mediafire.com/download/28h4oil2tvs9v13/flying_city-cockroach_race-05.zip - old
https://yadi.sk/d/U4BqK5Aftdkki - new
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:52:20 AM by TristamK »
Russian news group about Cube 2 Sauerbraten in VK ->vk.com/cube_engine_news
International Sauerbraten Mapping Community

bandandit

• +4/-0
Re: Flying Сity cockroach race-05 + video
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:17:33 AM »
Hey TristamK -

Thanks for posting! I never really got into racing maps but I really like your design but will check it out. The whole floating buildings is a nice idea and has some great ambiance. At first look it seems a little long and the tower section might need a little more lighting (which could detour people), but think overall I think it's very nice.

Footknight

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:54:44 AM »
Looks like racing combined with parkour? Racing is overplayed but parkour never gets old! :D

Update:
I actually downloaded and played this map. Awesome concept and a great challenge. Over all the lighting and all that good stuff is "up to snuff". I did however find an editing error in the corner of the long building to the right of playerstart.

http://i.imgur.com/wJG1DsM.png

I also noticed a few points in which I found myself wondering where the heck I was supposed to go. Not sure if this confusion happens for others or just me :P

Lastly this part...
http://i.imgur.com/eETCgx0.png
uhh what.. the hell... after all this amazing geometry and awesome parkour.. and then these strings of noob-cubes which might I add cannot be seen without putting /gamma way WAY up! The screenshot has /gamma at like 150...

I'd love to see more epic race maps like this. Parkour FOREVA!!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:50:08 AM by Footknight »
The Adventure Continues...

TristamK

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »
Thanks for posting! I never really got into racing maps but I really like your design but will check it out. The whole floating buildings is a nice idea and has some great ambiance. At first look it seems a little long and the tower section might need a little more lighting (which could detour people), but think overall I think it's very nice.
Thanks for playing). Nice to see that someone like my maps.
Looks like racing combined with parkour? Racing is overplayed but parkour never gets old! :D
Kind of. I always try to make my race map doen't look like regular little-race maps.

I did however find an editing error in the corner of the long building to the right of playerstart.

http://i.imgur.com/wJG1DsM.png
Ups. I will fix later.

I also noticed a few points in which I found myself wondering where the heck I was supposed to go. Not sure if this confusion happens for others or just me :P
I only know one place where this could occur...but I don't know how you can get stuck there.

Lastly this part...
http://i.imgur.com/eETCgx0.png
uhh what.. the hell... after all this amazing geometry and awesome parkour.. and then these strings of noob-cubes which might I add cannot be seen without putting /gamma way WAY up! The screenshot has /gamma at like 150...
I have gamma=100 and this place looks OK for me.
Hm. If 3rd bug will appear i will make update for this map

I'd love to see more epic race maps like this. Parkour FOREVA!!
You can find few my maps here
Perhaps in the future I will release my map package. But it will be much more later

Footknight

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:28:11 AM »
well I'm requesting you re-vamp that part with the crappy strings of cubes as I was on the server with a few people and they had similar thoughts about it. Not to mention that part would be pretty much impossible to play on a massive race server.
The Adventure Continues...

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:30:30 AM »
I am really happy to see this map here. Not only because the sauerworld map section is expanding, especially with its first race map, but also because I have nothing but good things to say about this one. (Well mostly, there is always constructive critisism).

What I really like:

This is another truly original and creative map, and I love that. Its really interesting to see how sauer's pro mappers, while obviously being very good, stick to the same themes over and over; then you get some underrated guys like you who make these awesome original ideas, even if they are not perfectly executed. I especially like the stairs and platforms that are suspended with balloons rather than just magically floating, that is really just impressive. Also the string thing inside the dark tower that you have to climb is cool because it is almost like a tribute to the cube engine, being a bunch of random strung cubes together into something that actually serves a purpose.

Did you create the yellow spiral tube on your own? I have to say that is one of the most impressive things I've seen lately, if so.

Everything just looks really cool and interesting and it looks like more than just a random race map, like it is actually a real place.

Things that I think could be better:

You can get stuck on top of the very first ramp in the beginning if you land on it just right.

The interior of the dark tower could use more light.

At one point toward the end you cab grenade jump off of the yellow spiral and hit the teleports under some floating stairs. This makes an unnecessary glitchy shortcut.

It is pretty hard at some points, but that is not a bad thing. I just wouldn't submit it to a racing server :)

Really good job, not much more to say. Look forward to seeing more from you

Edit: I have to ask, where does the cockroach name come from?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:42:45 AM by Fatality »

TristamK

• +3/-0
Re: simple-run-29-flying_city + video
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »
Edit: I have to ask, where does the cockroach name come from?
Answer after more the one year lol  ;D
i just put collocation "тараканьи бега" and google translater told me that it can be thanstlated like "Cockroah Race" )

Btw. Map its updated. Changelog and link for updated map can be found in the first post.
Also I decided move this map from CR race series to the Simple Run. I prefer put to the CR maps that can't be played well on the server due the high WTR count.