Sauerworld Forum

Better map optimization.

tacotuesday

• +0/-0
Better map optimization.
« on: January 25, 2017, 07:15:21 PM »
The cube 2 map editor is nice, has a little rough edges and incongruency here and there, but overall more expedient than other editors.

Guy told me to use /remip, and so I did, but it still isn't that optimized, just not ridiculously high poly anymore.

Thing is, I can't get it to optimize cubes into 6 side cubes. If a cube touches another cube, it won't optimize into 6 sides. There seems to be no ryhm or reason behind this, it seems like the algorithm wants to connect all the dots, but connecting the dots is not present everywhere on the maps, there are places with unconnected faces and nonlinked vertices. Also, the algorithm seems to miss obvious chances for optimization, so I am unable to export game-ready wavefront objs with this utitlity. I am going to try Red Eclipse editor and see if it is more optimized.

Suicizer

• +6/-5
Re: Better map optimization.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »
The cube 2 map editor is nice, has a little rough edges and incongruency here and there, but overall more expedient than other editors.

Guy told me to use /remip, and so I did, but it still isn't that optimized, just not ridiculously high poly anymore.

Thing is, I can't get it to optimize cubes into 6 side cubes. If a cube touches another cube, it won't optimize into 6 sides. There seems to be no ryhm or reason behind this, it seems like the algorithm wants to connect all the dots, but connecting the dots is not present everywhere on the maps, there are places with unconnected faces and nonlinked vertices. Also, the algorithm seems to miss obvious chances for optimization, so I am unable to export game-ready wavefront objs with this utitlity. I am going to try Red Eclipse editor and see if it is more optimized.

Perhaps you could attach soms screenshots with the situation you are describing.

In most cases, when using /remip, Cube Engine 2 calculates which geometry should be connected for the worldmap. So in certain situations (as for example a /newmap 12 contains 4 biggest gridsizes), it will keep certain cubes seperate (as they are both on different sections of the map). This doesn't always happen though.
Geometry which isn't aligned obviously can't expected tot be optimized to just 6 faces (like having 1 face diagonal).

I would be suprised if Red Eclipse handles it different as it's game engine-related; not game-related. But if so, please inform on this topic.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:41:18 AM by Suicizer »

tacotuesday

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »

Perhaps you could attach soms screenshots with the situation you are describing.

In most cases, when using /remip, Cube Engine 2 calculates which geometry should be connected for the worldmap. So in certain situations (as for example a /newmap 12 contains 4 biggest gridsizes), it will keep certain cubes seperate (as they are both on different sections of the map). This doesn't always happen though.
Geometry which isn't aligned obviously can't expected tot be optimized to just 6 faces (like having 1 face diagonal).

I would be suprised if Red Eclipse handles it different as it's game engine-related; not game-related. But if so, please inform on this topic.

Just go into cube 2 editor. Remip, it will return a six side cube.
But keep making some cubes of odd sizes. Now when you remip, the cubes are subdivided 2x. The subdivision is asymetrical so it isn't suitable for vertex lighting purposes.

Suicizer

• +6/-5
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

But keep making some cubes of odd sizes. Now when you remip, the cubes are subdivided 2x. The subdivision is asymetrical so it isn't suitable for vertex lighting purposes.

Sauerbraten isn't using lightning vertexes (rather lightmaps), so obviously Eihrul wouldn't care less.

Just optimize it in MisfitModel3D, Milkshape, Blender, etc.

tacotuesday

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:05:53 PM »

Sauerbraten isn't using lightning vertexes (rather lightmaps), so obviously Eihrul wouldn't care less.

Just optimize it in MisfitModel3D, Milkshape, Blender, etc.
Milkshape and Vizup doesn't optimize it good, and alters the shape of the curves. I would assume MisfitModel3D would be more of the same.