Sauerworld Forum

[SOLVED] Extreme low fps in linux

star

• +19/-5
[SOLVED] Extreme low fps in linux
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Yes I already tagged this 'new' topic as solved, but I thought it might be worth sharing, what I just found out.

So I installed my system new and fresh and hip. (Arch Linux 64bit, if anyone is interested, more precise Antergos, because I am lazy)
Eager to pwn some random idiots... uhm noobs, I was very disappointed, when I noticed that running Sauerbraten gave me around 20 fps.
So I reinstalled the driver, threw the old xorg.conf away and did the usual. Nothing worked.

I noticed that, Sauerbraten used the mesa OpenGL driver, which isn't really bad, except, that in this case it turns out to be the source of the low fps problems. Therefore the solution was:

[SOLUTION]:
- remove mesa-libgl
- install nvidia-libgl

Starting sauerbraten revealed the correct driver is being used, and....
tadaa! the beast is unleashed: 900-1100 fps.

If you've found out technical related solutions or want to share your knowledge, let us know!

Jumper

• +0/-11
    • The Glory
Re: [SOLVED] Extreme low fps in linux
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
Small explanation of why is that. Open source drivers such as mesa provide less performance than drivers made by developers of GPU cards (e.i AMD or nVidia). However, closed source drivers may cause of instability of the whole system.

If you rather have a stable system without high FPS you can use the following command to install latest mesa drivers:

UBUNTU / DEBIAN

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-dri libglapi-mesa

ARCH LINUX

pacman -Sy mesa-libgl

If you want a high gaming performance on unix-like systems, you can use the following commands:

UBUNTU / DEBIAN

For AMD GPU's

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases linux-headers-generic libqtgui4 xserver-xorg-dev lib32gcc1
sudo apt-get install fglrx

For nVidia GPU's

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

ARCH LINUX

For AMD GPU's

pacman -S catalyst catalyst-utils lib32-catalyst-utils
sudo aticonfig --initial

For nVidia GPU's

pacman -R mesa-libgl
pacman -Sy nvidia-libgl

p.s correct me if I'm wrong with something because I haven't used linux for a while.
Yeah, Windows is great… I used it to download Linux

star

• +19/-5
Re: [SOLVED] Extreme low fps in linux
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »
why are you doing this? i just explained why the mesa libs are shit.
it's not about the driver it's about the libgl parts.

to all others: please don't do what jumper is saying, he has obviously no idea what he's talking about