Sauerworld Forum

HDM7 - FFA by Halbgar

Halbgar

• +0/-0
HDM7 - FFA by Halbgar
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
DM map with fast and rewarding vertical gameplay.
I thought a lot about the item placement to achive good balance - let me know if that worked out :)

Theme is space-ish with a lot of details.

v 1.0:

3 Shells
3 Rockets
2 Riflerounds
3 Bullets
1 Grenades
1 Cartridges (Gimmick)
3 Health
1 YA
1 GA
1 Quaddamage

03/01/16
v 1.01:

- various clipping fixes

08/01/16
v 1.02(probably final version)

- various clipping fixes
- minor geometry changes
- slightly adjusted lighting
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:17:18 PM by Halbgar »

Alu

• +2/-0
Re: HDM7 - FFA by Halbgar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »
I think it has a lot of ammo
I feel better this:

Halbgar

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
I think it has a lot of ammo
I feel better this:

Thanks for your opinion! I think switching the quad with rockets works well. However i can't say the placement on the lower level(with the glass floor) makes sense: With only bullets nades and health there is no point in going down there, since rockets will wreck you from a higher level. Unfortunately sauer is not perfectly balanced and in most cases rockets have the highest gameplay value. You also replaced the rockets from the highest platform with rounds. The rockets were only obtainable via rifle-jump or jumping on the lower platform before, but they are worth the risk of getting shot or failing the jump. Rifles are not, and i think people will simply not use the platform, because the value/risk ratio doesnt work out anymore.

To be honest i don't plan on changing the item placement at the moment. (re)moving items causes too much balance loss.

Im still grateful for your feedback and if it appears that my gameplay plan wont work as excpected i will take your file as a reference.

Fatality

• +10/-0
  • Did he heared the shoot?
    • fatalitysauerblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 03:01:28 AM »
Cool map. The biggest thing I think could be better is the lighting, everything looks too illuminated, there are almost no shadows anywhere. Maybe try lowering the radius of some lights, or removing some all together and spreading the remaining ones further apart to create some shadows/contrast. Just my opinion. You also seem to have forgotten some "envmap" entities for the glass material everywhere, unless you did that on purpose. Otherwise, the details are pretty awesome, and the layout and flow seem okay. Nice job! :)

Halbgar

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
Cool map. The biggest thing I think could be better is the lighting, everything looks too illuminated, there are almost no shadows anywhere. Maybe try lowering the radius of some lights, or removing some all together and spreading the remaining ones further apart to create some shadows/contrast. Just my opinion. You also seem to have forgotten some "envmap" entities for the glass material everywhere, unless you did that on purpose. Otherwise, the details are pretty awesome, and the layout and flow seem okay. Nice job! :)

Thanks! Well the lighting... youve got a point there. Since i usually play with Gamma 140, I may have overbrighten the lights a bit out of fear the map could be too dark to be playable at 100. I tried to map at Gamma 100, but as you say, the map still came out to be a bit bright. I've got a lot to do in the next few weeks, but i will definitly work on that!
Thanks for your feedback m8.

bbk

• +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »
Good job Halbgar! I look forward to playing this with you.